Made it to Ko Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We survived the overnight train from Bangkok and awoke the next morning to see, rolling past the window - fields of green! Cows! It's amazing how little greenery there was in that city, we didn't really realize until we finally saw some. Our train surprised us by pulling into our station a full hour before we expected it to, and we made the fastest pack-unlock luggage-disembark train manouever ever seen, stumbling onto the platform bleary-eyed and, in Melinda's case, unshod.

A few hours later we spotted Ko Samui (Samui island) from the ferry, and were soon in the back of a "songthaew" (pickup truck taxi) on the perimeter road towards the town we thought sounded most interesting. Our driver surprised himself by finding the place we wanted to check out, and it turned out to be just perfect. We can't post pics yet but will try to describe it - little cottages, a palm-lined path to the beach, a shoreside open-air restaurant bar and even little massage huts with women knitting in them (which turned out later to be crochet, but whatever). Our cottage has a verandah we've used to shelter from the periodic monsoon rain where we can sit and read and sip cheap beverages of choice while stray cats prowl around and little Thai toddlers roam freely.

Mike woudl like to add, far more succinctly than I have been able to be, that the town is also pretty cool.

Pics when we figure out how.

Love (and/or respect, depending on who you are and how well we know you)
M&M

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb