Christmas in Koh Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
December 26th 2006
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A little touch of Christmas!A little touch of Christmas!A little touch of Christmas!

Compliments of Ange's mum Pipa, we had a lovely little silver Christmas tree to brighten up our room!
Hello and Merry Christmas from the land of Thai!! And what a beautiful place it is - but oh so much more touristy than anywhere in Vietnam! Currently we are staying in Koh Samui, the largest of the group of islands in the South-west of Thailand. Landing at the Koh Samui airport (having said a sad goodbye to Ali at the Saigon airport), we were greeted by the most awesome airport I have ever seen - picture a cluster of 20 or so open air bungalows with a few check in desks and funny little buses that transport you from tarmac to terminal, and thats what it was! That evening we enjoyed our first Thai meal - a welcome change - with another group of physios who had their clinics in Chang Mai - bringing our numbers up to 12!

On Christmas eve we enjoyed a day of beach and sun - a little too much sun for some (Lins and Giselle displayed lovely lobster tans for the next few days!), and booked ourselves in for a traditional Christmas dinner at an Aussie run pub.

Compliments of Anges mum Pipa, we had some lovely Christmas decorations to make our hotel room at least a little Christmassy! A mini silver tree and a Christmas banner, with a few little presents under the tree! Prior to heading out for dinner and a few drinks, Cath made a quick trip to the Pharmacy just up the road, hoping to find some strepsils....minutes later she returned with not only her strepsils, but also 3 bacardi breezers, which she had also purchased from the pharmacy! (and for only about $2/3 each!) - talk about accessible...and cheap! A quiet Christmas eve turned into a rather large (and late) night when we made the discovery of 100B cocktails (about $3), followed by walking into 'the party' in a little side alley, where we purchased our first Thai buckets - 250 baht (around $8), made up of 8 shots of vodka, red bull and ice....a combination to keep you up all night! And then, just to cap the night off, we dicovered the street pancake - a little stall where pancakes where made on the spot to order - $1 for banana and nutella pancake, drizzled with condensed milk - enough to clog your arteries at the thought of it, but it tasted damn good - especially at 1 in the morning!

Christmas day brought a headache, however this was soon cured as we started the day with a swim at the beach, and then spent a fantastic afternoon enjoying a traditional Christmas feast! 5 courses, including prawn cocktail, chicken soup, all you can eat buffet of Turkey, pork and beef, roast veggies and yorkshire pudding, christmas pudding, cheese and biscuits and tea and coffee!! Starting at 3, we managed to stretch the feast over 3 hours, walking away stuffed as turkeys!! A previously organised Kris Kringle ensured we all received a little something from Santa - all in all whilst we were'nt at home with our families, Christmas Day was one to be remembered!

And now off to Koh Tao, a little diving island north of here - looking forward to a bit of snorkling and R + R!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

A little bit of Christmas Cheer!A little bit of Christmas Cheer!
A little bit of Christmas Cheer!

For $3 at the local pharmacy - who could resist a Bacardi Breezer to see in Christmas day!
On Chaweng beachOn Chaweng beach
On Chaweng beach

Cath and Ange
Sunrise over the ocean at Chaweng beach...Sunrise over the ocean at Chaweng beach...
Sunrise over the ocean at Chaweng beach...

This is for you Ange - boat and all!


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb