The real Thailand Scene!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 5th 2007
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me and my Monkey!Me and my Monkey!Me and my Monkey!

He escaped from his owner and jumped right on to me...i love him and want to take him home!!
Well Koh Samui is definatly different from Koh Phagnan. Koh Phagnan was all backpackers and undevelopled. Koh Samui was filled with rich package tourists and was overdeveloped. All the beaches were lined with beautiful resorts, restaurants and bars. There were even Mcdonalds, Burger King, Pizza hut and Starbucks which are rarely seen anywhere through south east asia. We even tried a Mc Rice burger. It is pork burger that has a rice bun. It was actually quite good. I dont really eat Mcdonalds at home but it was cool to try something different. They also had icecream with corn. Another unusaul asian combination. Koh Samui was a nice change from the dirty party beach of Koh Phangan.

When we arrived on Koh Samui we headed straight for Lamai beach. We found a nice little bungalow on the beach for 5$. After settling in and exploring the town a bit we found the real Thailand scene. There were so many streets lined with go-go bars and lady boy bars. It was very weird to be walking through the area but I guess it is something you have to see when you come to Thailand..it seems to be part of the culture.
Lamai beachLamai beachLamai beach

a massage booth on the beach
All of the bars had girls dancing around on poles and tables. it was right in the open air around families and children so I guess it wasn't too bad. The only hard part was you couldnt tell if they were men or women...Some of them looked so feminine and some of them looked so masculine..Its a very strange world out there. Later on in the night a few of the ladyboys brought us into the bar for a show. It was actually quite interesting. There was one person that was really a half man half woman. Half of him was a girl with like plastic surgery done to look more feminine and the other side was a man. Half long hair, half short hair and half dress, half suit. Very strange. We just drank a couple beers and watched the crazy show. Dont worry it wasnt as bad as it sounds..just strange!

Our next day was spent on Lamai beach. It was beautiful clear blue water and white sand. So nice to have some peace and quiet away from the partying. These southern beaches are like a vacation away from our vacation. We need to be well rested before India in a couple days. Not much to say about these places other than we suntan, swim, sleep, walk, eat and drink. We had a really good seafood BBQ on the beach with shark and baracuda. It was delicious. Why not enjoy it while we are here and it is an eighth of the price it is at home. We hung out around Lamai city again during this night. All there really was in the Lamai area was all the go go bars and bars with old men and thai girls. I didnt enjoy the area to much because it didnt have too much to offer for us and it was a much older crowd.

The next day I was ready for a change so we headed to Chaweng beach. It is an more upmarket area where all the resorts and bars catering to us are. It was a much better atmosphere than what we had at Lamai. There were a bunch of beach bars and restaurants that we sat and enjoyed all the different happy hours 😊. During happy hour a monkey was running around the area. It was someones pet that got loose.It was running around and it looked like it was dancing to the music, very cute.He even jumped on to our lap so we were able to take a picture. I really enjoyed the atmosphere around Chaweng beach. Wish we could have stayed a bit longer but we need to get back to Bangkok soon to catch our flight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

dog on a motorbike!dog on a motorbike!
dog on a motorbike!

Its a typical scene in Vietnam..rarely seen in Thailand though


6th January 2007

That cone on icecream looks interresting....i told myself i'd never walk into mc dinks ever again though....
6th January 2007

Yummy!
HEy nice pic and story,,, be safe on your way to India.. Hugzzz
6th January 2007

Nice monkey
Hey Jazz the monkey is soo cute steal it and take it home with you! lol well looks like ur enjoying urself eh . dont let dave get too close to the ladyboys ahaha well hope ur having a good time cant wait to see you when you get back
7th January 2007

Hi kids I could use a few of those beach and happy hour days!! I'm jealous...Enjoy India Miss you Scott
7th January 2007

Fun Fun
Loooks like you guys are really enjoying yourselves. I am very jealous and look forward to continue your adventure to India. Stay safe and healthy. Love you Miss you
9th January 2007

Nice monkey, i always wanted one, lol. Sounds like lots of fun. We always call the Lady Boys in Thailand "Carls" , like "bad Carl" and "Dont touch me there Carl" hehe
16th January 2007

Mooooonkey!!
That is the coolest monkey ever. When I was in Ghana, I saw so many monkeys but never got to hold one like that. Aaahhh its snowing and icy and so cold here, I'd kill to chill out on that beach with a beer and get a massage from beautiful thai girl (not ladyboy haha).

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb