Ko Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
February 17th 2013
Published: February 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have now arrived from our 2hr boat ride into Ko Phi Phi Don. When we got off the boat they heard you like cattle through a gate to pay the 20 (0.66 cents) Baht per person fee for being on the island. We started walking passing by the "taxi" people trying to get your business. We did not have a clue which direction to go....so we walked and walked....then I decided to start asking which way to our hotel. They kept saying "left at the 7-11" and i though oh great there is a 7-11 at every corner...well I was wrong there are only two on the Don island...so left it was....now which way? We finally got a clear english anwer and it was right at the corner bend. So on and on we walked....this place at first is like a maze and all we wanted was our hotel and to hit the beach! We walked for sometime and seemed llike we were lost and walking down the "local peoples" street...and finally...our hotel sign!

We checked in and grabbed a map and got directions to the beach and dropped off our packs and headed for a swim and some sun.

Later in the evening we went out for some dinner at a cheap and sweet looking resturaunt called The Rock. It was a resturaunt built up a hill made out of a bunch of rocks. You overlook the streets of Phi Phi Don. Dinner was great and we decided to walk around and check out all the local shops. We came across a place called Regge Bar and they advertised that if you Muay Thai Box you get a free bucket...no I did not give it a shot (buckets scare me since the first hangover from a bucket) but we sat and had a few and watched a bunch of white boys duke it out Muayi Thai style or should it be called street fight style with Muay Thai gear on. None the less the bar was a blast and we decided it was time to hit the sack.

So we started walking back and we kept seeing these "things" swoop down in front of us...we didn't know what they were but I kept thinking that they are flying and swooping down like bats do (being from Estevan I have seen this type of thing before). We were walking and ducking and dodging...thought we were in the movie Dodgeball...none the less I told Jill to tie her har back incase one gets tangled. So there were a few screams (from Jill) and we finally made it back to our hotel. We had to ask what them damn things were...the Thai guy said "Batman"...ha we laughed and made it back to our hotel room with no issues.

The next morning we got up had some breakfast and then took a stroll in the city. We found a beautiful garden area and a place that made cappucinos....mmmm they were amazing!

We packed up and headed to a different beach than we were at the day prior. It was called Long Beach. So we decided to walk there. The locals said it would take about 20min to walk, thus we decided that that is not that far. So on we went. The walk was crazy! It was through the jungle type of trees and rocks all overlooking the ocean. It was a lot longer than 20min but well worth the adventure and scenery. We finally made it to Long Beach and spent the day relaxing and swimming on such a beautiful day. Rather than making the hike twice we decided to take our first longtail boat back to the town at 100 Bhat (just over $3.00) each. It was a blast and I found it quite crazy how the boat stears. It has a steering wheel with rope tied around it and attaches uner the boat (not sure how or what to) but it was pretty old school.

We decided to walk around before making our way back to our hotel and came accross a tsunami building that if a tsunami hit you get up this building so you are well above the ground level. Then we kept walking towards the beach and came across a tsunami memorial garden. It was very sad but nice. There were names on a plaque in memory of the people that died in the 2004 tsunami that struck. We kept on and made our way back to our hotel to clean up and head for dinner.

Tomorrows adventure begins with a 1/2 day trip to a bunch of spots around Phi Phi (including Maya Bay where the movie The Beach was filmed) to do snorkeling and sight seeing.



Until next time...

Tyler


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



17th February 2013

Vacation
Totally enjoing your adventure. What a cool way of sharing. Keep safe and keep posting :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb