Day 3 - Ko Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
March 22nd 2012
Published: March 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today started at 6 am - a little too early in my opinion - but we had to pack our stuff and catch a bus to the ferry dock. Two nights at one of the beautiful Phi Phi Islands!

The ferry ride was a whole different experience! The majority of the tourists were either Indians or Chinese - both of which found our Scandinavian family to be quite the attraction! Especially Kia with her blonde hair had her picture taken (candid at first, then she was asked to pose with various Indians and Chinese guys). As the youngest sibling, she basked in the sudden attention. The tourists got a bit carried away and ended up dragging Katja and me into the picture-taking, and two young Chinese women got hold of a tall blonde guy to pose with them on the deck. Now that was a culture shock - we would never ask other tourists to pose with us or go as far as to take pictures of someone without asking for permission first.

The hotel cabins are built on a mountain side. This equals steep stairs, bold macaques that appear from the jungle in the morning to be fed scraps by the hotel manager, and one helluva view! One macaque thought Kasper had food in his hand and started hissing at him when he didn't share (he didn't have any food, by the way), another then joined in and even slashed Kasper's arm. Good thing he wore a long-sleeved shirt!

The whole family pretty much collapsed on the bed when we finally got the suitcases carried up to what would amount to the 4th floor. Took us at least an hour to get back in gear.

Then we went to the beach. The low tide meant we had to walk like 200 meters just to be waist-deep, and so our snorkeling trip was postponed until tomorrow.

We stayed at the beach for most of the day, reading books, playing Frisbee, and napping. Some of us got a bad sunburn *cough*KasperKatjaKajaKia*cough* even if we kept applying high-factor sunblock.

Then we walked back to the hotel and had dinner at their restaurant. I had sweet and sour chicken with fried rice and it was delicious!

At this point, Kasper, Katja, Kaja, and Kia just got back from "downtown" where they booked tickets for the family to go on a guided snorkeling trip by boat tomorrow from 7.30 am - 12.

I MIGHT GET TO SEE SEA TURTLES!

Guess we have to go to bed early once again..


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Relaxation/total collapseRelaxation/total collapse
Relaxation/total collapse

The result of getting up at 6 am
Family dinnerFamily dinner
Family dinner

At Ma-Ney's restaurant


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb