KO PHI PHI ISLANDS


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
August 31st 2009
Published: September 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Since coming to Thailand, we have had no shortage of stunning beaches, and as the boat drew closer to Ko Phi Phi Don, we were not disappointed! It was simply stunning. We found some really cheap bamboo huts to stay on that were on the beach. They were in the process of being rebuilt still since the Tsunami, which the owner explained had devastated the area.

The following day, Suzie, Justin and I went for a tour of Ko Phi Phi Leh which is where apparently both The Beach and James Bond were filmed. The long tail driver who took us there played the loudest Thai Happy Hardcore tunes as we pulled into the most beautiful and serene (at least until we arrived) Maya Bay. We did some snorkeling, which is something that I've never done before and it was amazing!!! I couldn't believe how many fish we could see and how colourful they all were. I thought I saw a shark, but Justin said that I must have been mistaken. The coral was absolutely amazing as well and completely blew me away as I have never seen anything like it in my life. The sea on the way there had been really choppy, but it was definitely worth the effort to get there.

It was really hard to think that the community was devastated only a few years ago when the tsunami hit. We went into a really cheap café that was in one of the worst affected areas, and Samee the owner showed us a book all about the disaster, and pictures that made us all cry. He also had a sign that thanked customers for eating there and allowing him to rebuild his home and business and to support his family. People that you meet while you are away sometimes make you pinch yourself at how lucky you are.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb