climbing cliffs and jumping off them...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sawadee Krap Amigo's.

I've just touched back into Krabi after spending 2 nights in Ko Phi Phi...

Phi phi is an amazingly beautiful place (perhaps the most amazing beach ive ever been to in my life)....it's all the goodness of your 'postcard' beach (white sand/emerald green sea) but framed by a cove of mountains and jungle, either side of the water and in the background!

Its also tragic to think of the tsunami which pretty much wiped out all of phi phi...and also heartbreaking to think that a few years ago there were hundreds of thousands of dead bodies scattered over the beach. A few of the locals mentioned the 'wave' but in a very solemn tone, so i didn't want to ask too many questions, even though i was intrigued.

So the first night in Phi phi i was staying in a pretty much luxary bungalow (phi phi is an expensive, family oriented island) so not too much in the way for backpackers. So i had my first hot shower since the UK, air con and a TV! The plan was to stay there for one night, then the next night i had an excursion booked taking me camping for the night on Maya Bay (in the national park)....

so my 2nd day in phi phi was all geared up for maya bay. Then just before i was due to get picked up, the organiser of the tour called my hotel and told them that i was the only person who had booked to go on the tour (as its low season, plus all the shit in bangkok has dropped tourism by 40%), so they were cancelling and giving me a refund. I was absolutely gutted as it was one of the excursions i was most looking forward to, plus i had pretty much wasted the day (i say wasted, but i was still sunbathing on an amazing beach so it could have been worse).

Then today i had to get the ferry back to Krabi at 3.30pm, so thought i would look to do some sort of trip in the morning...Someone i had met mentioned 'Cliff jumping' so i hunted it down and booked myself up. Again, i was worried that if it was only me it may be cancelled, so as i was eating breakfast an aussie couple came in and i said to them if they wanted to go - and they were up for it. Lucky as if they hadnt booked it, it would have been cancelled as it was only us 3!

Anyway, we got a boat out to some cliffs, climbed them and jumped back in...I'm scared of heights but wanted to book up the tour as its something that i wouldn't usually do. And i kinda wanna push myself to do things that i wouldn't normally do, to be able to look back and say 'i've done that'. There were 4 different heights of the cliff to jump off of...i made it to the 2nd height (about 12 - 14 meters) - which is FUCKING high when your standing on the edge of a cliff looking down, past rocks (yes - you had to launch yourself forward) and into the sea! Plus at a swimming pool i had never made it past the 2nd board! And the ledge that you stand on isn't flat - there's just enough room for you to put both your feet on! But i did that jump (3 times in total)...i think it got worse each time i did it....Jason however (The aussie guy) went to the highest jump (around 22meters)... which was soooo scary just to watch! I have it filmed so will put it up when i get time!!!

After the cliff jumping we went to 'monkey bay' (where about 5 monkeys came and jumped on to our boat and stole our food)...we then started up the engine to move the boat but the monkeys were still on board...eventually they jumped off and swam (i had no idea monkeys could swim)...again, i have videos so will post at some point!

My plans now are spending tonight in Krabi, then 2mro i get the boat/overland to Ko Samui for 5 nights, then Ko phagnan and then Ko Tao!!!

Will update soon!

Hope you're all good!

Dan

Advertisement



16th September 2008

Other stuff i forgot that i've done....
Went white water rafting, and then quad biking through the jungle for 2 hours (on a 400CC quad) - quadding up rivers at times!!!! Fucking awesome... i also got carted around by a pre-op lady boy listening to power ballards and will young for an hour and a half....

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb