Peeing down in Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
June 17th 2007
Published: June 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Some of you may remember the name Koh Phi Phi. This is one on the islands that was hit very badly in the Tsunami. 3 years on and there is quite a lot of building work being done to make it back into a paradise island.

Were in Koh Phi Phi for 6 days altogether, however this was mainly due to the monsoons that we had for 4 of those days. If it's raining there isn't a whole lot to do in beach resorts. A few of the bars/ restaurants play dodgy copies of the latest blockbusters, and other than that we played pool and drank. Buckets here were 2 for 1 so decided to get a few of those down. Slightly later on that evening I was feeling a little tipsy as we went to the once a week Caberet show. This was actually quite good, watching some quite convincing lady boys dressed up in flamboyant outfits, miming the words to 'I will Survive' and 'Ain't no mountain high enough'. After this you can have your photo taken with them (for a small fee (as usual). No going by this photo would you think that person in the photo is a bloke?!
Also in the evening they have Muay Thai boxing in a boxing ring that has bars around it. First there is the boys boxing where these 2 10/11 year old kick the crap out of each other. After this the older guys take to the spot light. This is an unbelievable sport and you can see why these boxers have a lot of respect in Thailand. The power in their legs is enough to kick their apponant to the other side of the ring. I actually got quite into it, even though this was just a freebie, god knows what the real pros are like. When this is over they invite people from the audience to participate in order to win a free bucket. Quite funny watching 2 p*ssed up westerners trying to fight when they've been drinking - just like Birmingham on a Friday night really!!

The reason we didn't leave Phi Phi sooner was because we both wanted to go on a snorkelling trip to see Phi Phi Ley, which is where 'The Beach' with Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed. However, we were quite disappointed when this little bit of paradise was shared with about 500 other sun burnt westerners. We weren't particularly impressed, the scenery was fantastic but just needed the tourists to be removed! I was less impressed by the whole thing when on our return to the boat I had a bit of a falling out with a rock face. In order to get back to the boat we needed to go through a little cave and then go over some rocks to then swim back to our longtail boat (which incidentally had broken down). A couple of supervisors (and I use that in the loosest sense of the term) told us to wait by the rocks as the waves were pretty rough. So we had been waiting for about 20 minutes when a wave crashed against these jagged rocks and 2 Danish girls then crashed into me, hitting me against the rocks and then dragging me down the side of it. Which cut and bruised my leg. Didn't look too attractive I can tell you!! So after that I was pretty p*ssed off with the whole trip and we had another 6 stops before our return journey. Not the best day of my travels yet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb