This is why i came to thailand!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We got to krabi airport and managed to hitch a lift on the back of some luggage truck. We had just met a swiss girl who was on her was to Au nang to catch a boat to Rai lei island. It was dark and we had no idea where we were going so we went along. Au nang was awful. It was more like beniorm than thailand! Loads of leather skinned tourists eating at overpriced western style restaurants along the beach front. We were just like we've got to get out of here! There were night boats going to rai lei and tonsai, we had no idea about either of them, but my book said tonsai was cheaper, so like the dirty, skanky backpackers that we are, we picked that one!

The long tail boat took about 5 minutes to get to tonsai beach. Huge cliffs framed the beach, which was lined with bamboo and wooden bars, all lit with oil lamps and laterns. We met a french girl who told us about a good place to stay. There were rows of wooden huts on stilts, in a forest area. Our hut had a huge mozzie net, tent style thing. We dumped our stuff and went to look around. It seemed so remote and cut off from everything. just wooden huts and bars and 1 corner shop. I had no signal on my mobile. In day light I realised it luckily wasnt quite as remote as i thought, there were 2 other corner shops and 1 internet bar, but still, it was pretty remote!

We returned back to our hut at night to find a cockroach running under the 'wadrobe.' Another night it sounded like some sort of creature was drinking from the bucket of water in the bathroom. When you're in that groggy stage in the morning, when you first wake up and think am i awake or am i asleep?! it feels for a few moments like youve been sleeping outside. You can hear every little noise. So when one morning i woke to the sound of 2 cats fighting. (which was the worst, earpiercing, screaching ive ever heard.) it felt like they were literally in bed next to me. Im making this sound awful arent i!!! Its those things that I laugh about. They just seem like all part of the fun. When youre on a beautiful island, you dont even care.

The first morning when we got to the beach and I was just like

THIS is why i came to thailand!!!

I was laying on a beautiful beach, reggae tunes coming from a beach bar. Realising that this is all i have to do for the next few months! We quickly became regualars at one of the beahfront bars and all the staff were really friendly.

I loved tonsai, it was so chilled out, but i dont know if im going to get bored of just sitting around all day for a few months?! I know one thing, its definitely going to make me fat!! pad thai for 60p. Tonsai is where ive discovered pad thai. Its like noodles, egg, vegetables/meat, bean shoots, with crushed peanuts on top and lime juice all cooked on a hot plate. Its delicious. Im loving all the thai food. At one of the pad thai stands i met a man from england who knew cambridge well. He told me theres a good thai food shop down mill road - remember that mum!

After 4 nights on tonsai, we took the boat back to krabi this morning, where i booked into a hostel and dan left for the airport! So for the first time, im actually alone!!! It feels weird and its probably why im sitting on the internet at 3pm!! I think hannah arrives in krabi tonight though and the rest of the girls should be down south in a day or so. Time to do some laundry!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb