Kho Phi Phi Don... Paradise lost??? Apparently very found.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
January 11th 2007
Published: January 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another day awakened by the motors. We haven’t actually sailed yet and things aren’t looking good for wind today. Thank god this trip is already paid for or the fuel costs would run us a bloody fortune!! Notice my new use of the British vocabulary?? That’s what a few days on a boat with two English captains will do.

We sail into Phi Phi Don which is the bigger of the two Phi Phi islands…. Phi Phi Lei being the smaller and uninhabited. Karl, Ray and I go into town and it is literally packed with young tourists….all twenty something and all looking exactly like the kids out of the movie “The Beach”…which we will get to in tomorrows blog. The place is packed with dive shops, restaurants, internet cafes and street vendors selling cd’s, necklaces, bandanas and swimsuits. There’s not much to this place but tourists - which is good for the local economy as this island was one of the hardest hit by the tsunami two years ago. You couldn’t tell it by now because this place is hoppin!!!

We basically all wander the town all day - meet for a fairly uneventful Japanese dinner and then I’ve had enough. The streets are growing louder and more crowded - Diane and I head back to the boat in the dinghy. Ray, Karl, Keely and Jay follow a few hours later - while I’m doing my best to drown out the music spewing into the bay from the island…it is sooooo loud. Somehow we all manage to get to sleep…..or so I originally thought…….




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb