Full Moon Party


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
September 9th 2006
Published: September 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset From Our Balcony, First NightSunset From Our Balcony, First NightSunset From Our Balcony, First Night

Little did I know such beauty would be followed by such pain. Buckets are evil!
After leaving Langkawi we heading up to the Full Moon Party on Ko Pha Ngan, which was fairly easy although there was a fair bit of travelling involved. First there was the Ferry to saturn from Lagkawi which was fairly easy. Once at Satun, we got a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) inducing Minibus, which the Thai bloke who sold it to us said it would be 'very big bus' to Hat Yai. As non locals we are expected to sit in the worse seats at the back of the bus. Met a girl called Gemma who was great although she did the classic "I'm from Birmingham" Sketch where you then ask her where abouts and she says Redditch. Which is not in Birmingham. Have a word.
Managed to get a train from Hat Yai, right in the south to Surat Thani where we'd be getting the night ferry across. The night ferry was crammed with people going to the party and one chilled out buddist monk. It was all too much for Henson by now who had been drinking all day, proceeded to pass out on the boat. Couldn't sleep, met a few loud girls from watford who at first I
Night Ferry Surat ThaniNight Ferry Surat ThaniNight Ferry Surat Thani

Henson's being on the pop all day...
thought were loud and obnoxious and obsessed with sex but ended up speaking to them for most of the night and they were great. Moral of story, never judge book by its covers.
As we were a little worried by the accomodation we decided to book ahead to Loyfa on the west coast. As soon as we arrived we were hustled for rooms and it was soon clear we were miles from Hat Rin. Rooms were great but it was such a journey to get down to Hat Rin. First Night it tipped it down, there was a full power cut except in one bar which was rammed and Dave got trashed and was sick in the Taxi, 400 Baht fine! Damn those buckets! Spent the next day teaching Henson how to play chess, which to my suprise he really got into, Henson when we get back the chessboard awaits....
The full moon party is a cross between Glastonbury on speed and Falaraki without the abundance of Burberry caps, although there was a couple of burb rangers with 'big knob' and the union jack blazoned in orange paint across their chest. You always know a place is dying on its
Beach in fron of our hutBeach in fron of our hutBeach in fron of our hut

Our beach hut is the second hut from the left.
arse when the drunk English invade it. depending on what you read, the full moon is tied in with a buddist celebration and/or a load of hippies decided to set up a party to celebrate the sight of the full moon. Its an all nighter till sunrise and its pretty banging till then. I thought it would be a big soundsytem on the beach but basically each bar along the front sets up their own system. As with all these events you have the choice of music, G-Unit Style dull-as-dishwater hip-hop, Some house music and my personal favourite, Tye-and-Dyed-Dredlock-ear-bleed-techno, as heard blaring out at four in the morning outside any legal high shop at Glastonbury.
Watched the sun come up to Underworld - Born Slippy and then went back to the Room feeling like death. I'd hardly slept in 4 days and it hit me there and then on that beach. Plus as I was the only one of the group still standing, Henson had tapped out and Dave was getting to Know Gemma better, I'd had a few too many brews. Met an American with my dream job watching the sunrise, Teaching English in Tokyo. I really need to look into it......
The Pictures of the full moon party are from daves disposable camera, the quality is a bit poor, apologies, I'm sure you get the drift.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Full Moon PartyFull Moon Party
Full Moon Party

Me and an extremely knackered Henson
Full Moon PartyFull Moon Party
Full Moon Party

The Full Moon Party Crew, pre messiness!!
Full Moon PartyFull Moon Party
Full Moon Party

Me and Dave
Full Moon PartyFull Moon Party
Full Moon Party

Me, Henson and Dave and the crazy Kiwi who broke Dave's flip flops. One Scary Girl. She rugby tackles like a monster!
Full Moon PartyFull Moon Party
Full Moon Party

Suns Coming up, its game over for me!


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb