THAILAND 4


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
November 30th 2002
Published: November 30th 2002
Edit Blog Post

Sanut Thani is a return to the polluted ravaged mindset that is Bangkok but without the fun. Its only real use is as a stop off point prior to getting the ferry to Ko Phangan or Ko Samui. You can't even really get drunk in Sanut Thani such is the shortage of bars or suitably inspiring vistas. It does however lie upon a river and the opposing bank seems to be made up off nothing but palm trees. This low rise scenery is actually quite impressive as it gives the impression that for about a 1000 miles there is nothing at all but vegetation. Then you turn around and realise that you are in one of the most mundane towns Thailand has to offer.

Thailand is a dichotomy. The people are extremely warm and friendly and yet persistently try and sell you things be it cheap jewellery or a lift on the back of their motorcycle. Unfortunately this duality precipitates itself into actually distrusting everything they say. Walking through a rural area of Ko Phangan it started to rain and a lady kindly offered her porch as refuge. I politely declined and warmed to her spirit but then could not help but thinking that if I had accepted she would have embarked on a long and convoluted attempt to sell me her daughter or something. At least they are pretty up-front about their intentions most of the time.

Had Rin has more farang that it does Thai people. The locals that do live here though ooze nonchalance and are not pushy in the least. This is almost certainly because there is such a captive market here that it would almost be a waste of time hitting you with the hard sell. Sitting on the beach you get a flyer casually dropped by your side every half hour declaring the amount of free booze you might receive if you were to frequent the advertised establishment. And with a prettier beach than Prauchap Kiri Kan there seems no reason to leave at all.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb