Full Moon Party and Kite Surfing


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
October 23rd 2009
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After Railay we hopped on a long tail boat that took us to a bus that took us to a ferry that took quite a few hours to Ko Pha-nang. We ended up sitting on a huge Boat in the VIP section which had comfy chairs a T.V and was only 1$ more sweet! . 1 1/2 bad movies and rough seas later we arrived at Ko Phan nang. The motivation to coming here was to kite surf and attend the full moon party madness. We took a tuk tuk into town and spent quite some time walking around trying to find an available place to stay. A few days before the full moon party people come and book all the rooms so it becomes a challenge to stay on the island. After a while we decided on a place next to the Coral Bungalows. The coral bungalows had crazy pool parties every night which were cool to check out. We roamed around town and looked into Kite Surfing. We ended up at OnetoKite school . Turns out they had perfect wind to Kite surf and a perfect no wave spot to learn. So, we decided to check it out. Brad was already experienced being that he had just spent a few weeks doing it in Indonesia, I decided to take a few hours of lessons. I started with safety instructions and learned how to properly fly the kite while a giant storm was vastly approaching. After that, the next day I spent doing body drags, which is basically steering the kite left and right to get enough momentum to move about and let to kite drag you around in the water. The whole key is to get used to the pull of the kite and not freak out, which I did surprisingly well. The last day I was there I was starting to stand up on the board. This part was very very hard. I started with a size 12 kite which proceeded to launch me off the board and through the water, at which time i did freak out a bit. The kite is very powerful. The last day of Kitesurfing for me was also the Full Moon Party. We headed down to Sunset beach for the fun. We stopped by a shop and bought glow in the dark paint and painted on each other and roamed about the mass of people , fire poi spinners and music until sunrise. I was hoping it would have a bit of a burning man vibe but it was more like a Cancun frat party on the beach, never the less still a lot of fun. The next day it was time for me to start thinking about packing and preparing for home, we bought a ticket on the same airline that days earlier had crashed, (we didn't have much choice) back to Bangkok we go...I hope.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Ful Moon MaddnessFul Moon Maddness
Ful Moon Maddness

Picture C/O Google


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb