The jury's out...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
April 12th 2009
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yo,
sorry its been a few days - we were busy laying on the beach, reading, laying on the beach, hiding from the occasional tropical storm, laying on the beach and starting a major card playing tournament - the score so far is 29 to Joey, 33 to Tom!
Ko Tao was so relaxing and the people so friendly that it was quite hard to leave. On our last night we went up to a bar called high bar with Flavia, one of our friends we met, to watch the sunset over the bay. It was quite a steep climb so a few beers were needed to cool us down, but it was well worth the mini-hike - the view was amazing and there were hammocks to chill out in.

Yesterday we got a boat across to Ko phangan which took about an hour and a half. We past what seemed like hundreds and hundreds of people waiting to leave the island (after the full moon party which we avoided, and having seen the video and heard from our friend James about it we're glad we did) We were greeted with the usual shouts of 'hello, hello, taxi where you go, where you go' by about 20 different thai people with placards and leaflets about places to stay. We were pretty tired and I was still feeling a bit seasick so we went with this lady and sat in a taxi for two mins before being told to move to another one, but we had to pay 150baht for the one we'd sat in...weird. We should've argued but didnt have the strength!! Ended up in a really weird resort which was down a long and windy path....we looked at one of the rooms but it didnt have proper walls, and the bathroom was made out of the cliff with a massive hole in it. Now, we dont consider ourselves fussy when looking for a room - we dont mind cold water, no air con, nothing fancy...just walls, a fan and a bed. When we said we werent staying the owner man (who was also very weird) was obviously angry. Luckily the taxi man was still in the driveway so we hopped back in and he drove us away.

We managed to get a bus down to the south to a place called Haad Rin, which is where the full moon party happens and is therefore very geared up for tourists. Not sure how long we'll stay - just heard from James who's in the North East which is meant to be very pretty so might head up there tomorrow. We'll stay on phangan for a few days as the Thai new year festival of Sonkran gets underway tomorrow and lasts a few days....we're expecting to have a few water fights as is customary.

Will write soon, bye!!! x x x


Advertisement



12th April 2009

TAXI!
Crikey Tom -you must have been tired not to argue with the taxi man-not like you at all!! Sounds like the full moon party would have been a scrum-probably a good thing to miss by the sound of it. Take care going north -keep your head down in Bangkok. Incidentaly I'm not sure young ladies enjoy watching as much premiereship football as you seem to be making Joey watch-are you sure she doesn't mind?(I would ask and not assume if I were you!)

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb