Full Moon Party of Jan 2009


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 13th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I'm laying in bed at the moment. Its around 12:30 am, I just got done watching an episode of Gilmore Girls, which always makes me think of my mom and then an episode of West Wing, which always makes me think of Abby..well and John. This has been my life. Just shows, reading, pool time and running. Yes, I'm still keeping up with the workout. The Full Moon Party was my break from all of this relaxing down time. It was the night of the 10th. I had all this apprehensiveness about it. I may be a lot of things but a party person is definitely not one of them. Lately Ive preferred a nice couple glasses of wine with a friend, if I could pick one it would be Jenny .. my personal wino. When I do venture out its with a few close friends and I still usually call it an early night. So now picture me going to a beach party complete with 20,000 drunk people from all over the world. Ya, I was nervous.

Tim, an Australian guy staying here at Shiralea with me, offered to be my escort. He had been several times before and promised to not let me out of his sight and leave whenever I said I wanted to go. We pre-partied at Sailrock, a bar/dive school and then jumped in a cab to head to Haad Rin. When I say cab, it was actually a truck that two local guys just use as a “cab” on full moon party nights. We arrive. I got the biggest smile on my face. I don't know what it was but the whole atmosphere was fantastic. Everyone smiling with drinks in hand. Thirty different bars playing thirty different songs. People crowding the beach from bar to sea. Men urinating in the ocean at different spots. Fire dancers. People playing jump rope with a rope that's on fire. Glow paint being painted on everyone. Fifteen minute waits to use the toilets. Buckets filled with vodka, sprite and redbull being drunk. Its all very interesting. I ended up loving it. My only complaint is the lack of Britney being played though there were a couple Katy Perry songs I could jump up and down to. We headed back to Shiralea at about 4 am. Ended up seeing the sun come up.

Its taken a couple days to catch back up especially because the day after the full moon party, all of Shiralea's friends from a dive shop ended up throwing a bbq/party. I thought to myself going in I wouldn't drink but then everyone else is doing it so I went for it. I reckon the rest of the time I'm here I will drink pretty moderately. Louis, my oldest travel friend, and his girlfriend Jo arrived the day of the bbq. This S. African guy was the very first person I ever met on my very first trip. He inspired Becky and I to get out of bed in London when we were so jetlagged and go to a pub at 11 in the morning. This guy is one of the happiest, friendliest men Ive ever met. Its so cool to meet up with him 5 years later and catch up.

The weather lately has been cloudy and crazy windy. Everyone has been recovering and just quiet. Im so used to constantly being on the go and doing activities that its been strange to be in such a quiet environment. I want to enjoy doing nothing but honestly I don't think I'm built for it. Ha. I'm taking an advanced dive course but because of the weather the boat hasn't been able to go out. Once I start that course I will feel a bit better about everything I think. I miss work a little, I miss my regulars and ultimate tournaments and the rush of working backstage at shows. That's a good feeling though. To know I love my work. I'm going to sign off now.

Abby, Jenny, John, Kara, and Morgan...I need your addresses.
Thanks for the message Sarah. :-) Made me smile

Love,
Jennie Mae


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th January 2009

Thanks for the dragonfly :) Love you! Oh, I named my new laptop Buffy tee hee.
13th January 2009

Thanks!
Thanks for the shout out! I am a wino and damn proud of it! I've missed sharing bottles with you! It's on the list pronto when you get home!!!
16th January 2009

Fun Times!!
I am envious I'm not there with you!! This California business better pan out, or I'm going to be real sorry I missed this trip!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb