Ko Phangnan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 17th 2006
Published: January 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bungalow ViewBungalow ViewBungalow View

The Hammock on the porch of the bungalow was ideal for a little R&R between sunset and dinner.
KO PHANGNAN

Steve and I arrived in Ko Phangnan last Tuesday in anticipation of the full moon part on the night of the 14th. Ko Phangnan is much less developed then Ko Samui, our previous destination. Had Rin Beach, the area where we stayed, caters exclusively to backpackers. I'd guess the average age is 20 and and everyone's there to bask in the sun and party at night.
Steve and I arrived on the island early enough to get good accommodations. Our hut overlooked the beach and was ideally located a short distance from the nightlife.
A typical day at Hat Rin Beach consists of... you guessed it... sun bathing. When the sun goes down everyone retires for a few hours to grab something to eat at the countless restaurants a block inland. Each restaurant displays a list of movies to be shown that night. Mostly popular films dominate the list such as the Beach (set in Thailand) as well as comedies like old school, wedding crashers, and even new releases such as King Kong. I never received any documentation of express written consent for public showings of these movies no matter how many times I inquired. The FBI would
Had Rin BeachHad Rin BeachHad Rin Beach

Had Rin BEach, the setting for the full moon party.
have a field day if they had jurisdiction. The movies did provide a great way to kill some time before heading out to enjoy the nightlife.
Unlike Samui, Phangnan's bar scene stayed on the beach. about a dozen bars lined the stretch of sand and blared everything from techno to top 40. Vendors also lined the beach selling sand buckets of booze. The buckets were filled with the drink of your choice, usually Vodka and red bull, or rum and coke. At a cheap $2-5 each you never had to worry about spending too much.

THE FULL MOON PARTY

Our Stay on Ko Phangnan culminated with the full moon party on the night of the 14th. thousands flock to Hat Rin beach to party the night away under the light of the full moon. From one end to the other the beach was filled with people drinking and dancing the night away. It was quite a scene to behold. In all honesty it was a Little overbearing. Far too crowded. The days leading up to the party provided a much better scene.

Last night Steve and I made the 16 boat/bus trek back to Bangkok where I
Buckets for SaleBuckets for SaleBuckets for Sale

Vendors on the beach sell buckets of mixed drinks as well as other libations for dirt cheap.
bid farewell to Steve at 4 this morning. The party portion (read heavy drinking) of my trip is over, at least until Courtney arrives, and I'm looking forward to exploring more of SE Asia. Tomorrow morning I'm grabbing a bus to Cambodia to explore the lost city of Ankor Wat. I hear its amaizing. I'll be sure to update the blog asap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

full moon partyfull moon party
full moon party

The beach was packed end to end durring the full moon party. Pure madness!!!!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb