Trip To Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 18th 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Boreder ControlBoreder ControlBoreder Control

About to cross the Border with my only two necessities, my passport and water in hand.
After escorting Steve back to Bangkok, I wanted to get out of town as fast as possible. The next morning I was on a bus bound for Cambodia. It was filled with a god crew of backpackers. The ride to the border was an easy 3 hours filled with travel stories and suggestions.
The border crossing was long and tedious. I already had a Cambodian visa, but I still had to wait in a long line of people who had to apply for one of their own. Oh well, live and learn.
Fortunately, a girl named Shawna who was seated next to me on the bus had heard about the dramatic change in road conditions once in Cambodia. Was she ever right! Shawna and I managed to rally two more passengers (Katrina and Erica) and we all split a taxi Siam Riep, opting off of the prepaid bus.
The taxi ride down was madness!!! In Cambodia they drive on the right side of the road, where in Thailand it was the opposite. Unfortunately the taxi (Corolla) was configured for the wrong side of the road, with the driver on the right. The road was little more than a dirt track with
Stress relieversStress relieversStress relievers

The intesity of the cab ride was tempered only by our slight inebriation.
more holes then flats. The driver, apparently thinking he was in some kind of rally race, passed trucks, buses, cars, and mopeds blindly and with reckless abandon. More dangerous still was that the driver had to commit before passing because he was driving on the right side of the road from the right side of the car. The ride was an intense 2+ hours to say the least. Fortunately we had grabbed a few beers for the ride which calmed our nerves. This of course also had its downside, my bladder was about to burst when we finally stopped for a break. In the end we save time and a hellish ride on the bus which we later learned arrived 4 hours later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Taxi MatesTaxi Mates
Taxi Mates

Shawna, Erica, myself and Katrina at our one and only official pitstop.
Bridge over troubleBridge over trouble
Bridge over trouble

This is one of the sturdier bridges that occasionally interupted the path of our dirt rally track.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb