Don't worry...be happy!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Road 7Road 7Road 7

White knuckle downhill
We had been on the ferry for about 90 minutes when Koh Phangan appeared on the horizon green and mountainous. We soon found our driver Mr Wat and were loaded onto the back of his 4X4 for the 30 minute trip across the island from coast to coast through the jungle and over the highlands in between. It was a white knuckle ride and well worth the 150 baht per person (£2.50) admission fee!!
We rolled out of the back of the truck at our destination and were led to our hut by Nok our waitress and as it turned out our personal fire dancer.





We dumped our bags and Sue looked at me a little nervously...what do you think? she said. This destination was after all down to her research and i had no idea where we were going. I looked around and out through the door to the sea beyond and said perfect.





What can I say that the photos don't? The building was bamboo and wood with plaster in between and a brick built shower room. The large wooden bed was a 4 poster by virtue of the
Road 2Road 2Road 2

Jungle crossing
necessity of hanging a mosquito net over it but it adopted a romantic air in the half light of dawn and dusk and when the sharp shards of daylight crept in through the many wooden shutters.





Ours was the first hut next to the restaurant and as the power went off at 11.30 we were never kept awake at night. Well the fact that the fan went off also did mean it became quite warm but that is the reality of beach life.





The beautiful curving beach held 2 bars and several huts, the rest of the huts were stacked precariously up the face of the headland which culminated in another restaurant. After a swim and a shower we were in the bar for the first of many meals and drinks.







Oh dear, done it again, found someone who can talk as much as me!!! A fantastic few days, spent at a perfect beach just what i was looking for, a couple of good restaurants, a handful of fellow travellers and great company in Ciaran and Lisa. Had great fun climbing the waterfull,
My little hutMy little hutMy little hut

Life's a beach...hut
even if a little precarious at times, just keep following Gordon, is that wise!!!!! back at the beach conversation never ran dry apart from when Ciaran drank too much and fell over!!! Swapped blogs so we can follow each others travels. Got some very good advice for India, don't drink anything even water then i'll never need the loo! Not sure if thats wise! Very impressed with the size of your rucksack Lisa, I'm obviously going to have to dump some stuff, I keep trying to hide things in Gords but he notices. We even had our own private fire dance from Nok (or Dr Nok as known on You Tube) sat under the stars late at night. She was good. Gave the Half Moon party a miss, sounds as though we didn't miss anything. Are we too old for the Full moon, next time maybe. So a real holiday time spent at Mai Pen Rai (Thai for Don't worry). It certainly was a chill place, didn't think there was going to be anything like that left on Koh Phangan, but there is you just have to look.







I agree, great location away
Looking outLooking outLooking out

Room with a view
from the madding crowd. Come here to chill for ambiance and for longer than you planned! As for Ciaran and Lisa it was like they had been round the kitchen table at some time in the past and who knows maybe they will sometime in the future?


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rarely visitedRarely visited
Rarely visited

Down on the beach
Beach barBeach bar
Beach bar

Bar next door
plaasplaas
plaas

Cliff top restaurant
PiratesPirates
Pirates

Pirates ahaar
Treck startTreck start
Treck start

The trek begins
PrecariousPrecarious
Precarious

Follow me...and look like your enjoying yourselves!
TreeTree
Tree

Sue tree hugging
waterfallwaterfall
waterfall

Wet Wet Wet
Dr NokDr Nok
Dr Nok

Great balls of fire!


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb