I think people come here when they die


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 3rd 2005
Published: January 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

Sunset over Koh Pha-Ngan
I've been to Hawaii and it's very beautiful and serene. However, it's very expensive. In Koh Pha-Ngan, almost everyone is farang and the Thais are not as friendly (not surprising, based on the attitudes of the tourists there). Fortunately we were staying away from the main city (Had Rinn).

The day sort of goes like this: Wake up and meander over to the "restaurant." Let me explain: You take off your shoes and then either sit at tables or lay on mats. Sometimes I would grab a menu myself, sometimes I would let the waiter bring it. It doesn't matter. "No problem." The waiter does not check on you. If you want something more or the check, you motion him over. The food always takes a long time to arrive, but that's why you bring a book or notebook or friends. "No problem." Get the idea?

Later you can lay in hammocks, or the beach, or sleep, or walk, or or or... The food and drink is much more expensive here than mainland Thailand, but I mean $4 for a big meal instead of $2 or less. The internet here is slow and sometimes doesn't work. The only time this was frustrating was when I was booking and cancelling flights. Otherwise, "no problem." So why doesn't it work like this in the US? Definitely culture, some Buddhism, maybe just because.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb