Koh Phangan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
October 31st 2006
Published: November 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The morning after the night before...The morning after the night before...The morning after the night before...

My favourite place to be after a heavy night - lying down under the shower. This was one of the heaviest ever so I was there a while.
We had booked a room in a resort called 'Harmony Beach' in Ao Hin Lor, ten minutes drive from Haad Rin where they hold the legendary full moon party. The resort was lovely. Private beach, chilled out atmosphere and really friendly people. Our room was also really big and nice and we had hot water-luxury!! We did have bats in our room though as the roof was partly open air. Our bed sheets had to be changed several times because the bats pooed on them! It's not often you have real bats flying around your room on halloween though, eh!

Koh Phangan is SO hilly (the hill nearest us must have been 45 degrees and 200m long). To walk anywhere is really hard work. The roads are dangerous and we saw several people with really bad injuries from crashing their bikes.

We spent the days up until the full moon party at the beach or going to the capital, Thong Sala, and into Haad Rin. We also went on a tour of the island where we went to a waterfall and went snorkelling. Our ticket said that there were free munchies which turned out to be joints!

There
Full moon partyFull moon partyFull moon party

Check out the awesome tattoo (not permenant, though so no worries ,mum!). A moment of the night a CAN remember, so probably only the second bucket.
were some other backpackers at our resort and the evenings were really nice-just sitting on the beach or in the bar. Our resort was so chilled out that they even served magic mushroom shakes!

On the night of the full moon we all started drinking in the resort and some of the boys did everyone neon tattoos, then went into Haad Rin. Even nights out are cheap in Thailand. You buy a 'bucket' which is literally a bucket of ice with mixers-usually Thai Red Bull which is like syrup and is supposed to contain amphetamines, and a bottle of vodka or whiskey or whatever. It costs about 130b (less than 2 pounds) for a 0.5L whiskey bucket with two mixers. So everyone has buckets and the beach is lined with bars all blasting different music onto the beach where everyone is dancing. There are fire shows etc. There were about 7000 people there. We were having a wicked time but Olly was sooo drunk!

After a few hours Olly was being sick (lovely!) and just laying on the pavement. He layed there for two hours-I tipped several bottles of water over his head but it didn't sober him
Thats right...Thats right...Thats right...

but as if we actually needed to be told that! Full-moon-fever builds from about 5 days before.
up. Eventually I had to take him home-my shoulders really ached the nest day from him leaning on me!

In total Olly had 2 beers, 2 cocktails, an Amaretto, and 3 whiskey buckets (1.5L)! What a lightweight!

No shock that he felt very ill for the whole of the following day and was just about recovered by the time we left Phangan the day after that!






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

PoserPoser
Poser

Not the clearest picture, but you might be able to make out the very rare drunken monkey playing up to the camera on his way to picking a ripe young coconut.
ChillinChillin
Chillin

Again, not the best image, but here we have the lightly-tanned Browne sloth reclining in a jumbo hammock (not such a rarity)!


10th November 2006

Oh no not again!!!!!
The scene in the bathroom reminds me of our holiday in Corfu, remember?Glad you had Charlotte to look after you! Stay safe. Love Mum xxxxxx.
14th November 2006

Fab Pictures Charlie - definately to save for your children when they reach a drinking age, take care - Auntie Joy xx

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 91; dbt: 0.0841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb