Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Muk
January 11th 2009
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I was more than ready to move on, so was happy to see the speedboat pulling up to the beach for us at 8.30am.

We thought we were joining a tour group for the lift, but it turned out that it was purely a transfer boat to different islands and resorts. I was pleased we got on when we did as we had our pick of seats, a few minutes later the boat was packed out and a few people had to sit at the back where they got drenched.

I felt excited when we finally pulled up at the Sivalai Beach Resort on Ko Mook. I recognised it from the website pictures immediately and this time they didn’t lie. The boat pulled in to the whitest, softest sand I’d seen in a very long time - it actually squeaked under foot when you walked on it!

There were white deckchairs lining the curve of a sand that sloped down gently to the bluest ocean. It looked too perfect for words.

Our bags were taken to our rooms and after a quick drink we were lead through a path down the middle of the island. There were a couple of rows of luxurious bungalows on either side of us, and we could see the ocean through the palm trees on both sides.

We’d booked the room online and even with a discount it had cost us over £80 per night so we had high expectations for our room. We weren’t disappointed.

The lady showing us to our room explained that we’d received a free upgrade to a superior room. There was a wrap around deck, with two big sun beds pointing towards the white sand that was a few meters away. Although it was a row back from the beach front there weren’t any bungalows directly in front of ours so we had a view across ocean.

Inside our room was beautiful - we had two big beds pushed together, a TV, dvd player, and windows everywhere to make the most of the amazing views. It felt like a novelty having an inside bathroom again.

On a table waiting for us was a big platter of fresh fruit which was just what we needed after the speedboat transfer, although it didn’t stop me from wanting some lunch, so once we’d got some beach things together we made our way back to the restaurant.

A beer was in order to celebrate our luck at finding such a beautiful resort. Unfortunately the downside was that the prices in the bar and restaurant were more than we’d been used to - it felt scary paying £2 for one bottle of beer. We both ordered the cheapest thing on the menu to make up for it. My fried rice had a whole fried egg on top which was the first time I’d seen it served that way.

Contented, we walked along beach enjoying the fact that there was hardly anybody around. Matt couldn’t get over the fact that the sand squeaked with every footstep, or that fact that it felt like flour. This was exactly the sort of beach we’d pay money to visit as part of a day trip. It was the first time we’d ever stayed at a resort on a beach this spectacular.

After a quick shower it was time for an early dinner. We chose a table on the sand lit by a lantern. As we ate, we watched the full moon edge its way out of the clouds, turning from an orange blaze into a glowing orb that took over the sky.

While it was beautiful seeing a full moon, it was a shame that we weren’t able to look at the stars. We had been looking forward to seeing how they’d changed since leaving Australia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb