Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
January 10th 2009
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Suki, the lady who ran the resort, spent the morning helping us decide which boat transfer to take to Ko Mook the following day. You’d think it would be easy, but far from it. There were lots of different speedboats, all stopping at different parts of the island. Some involved getting a long tail to the resort, whereas others cost more but went right to the resort. Eventually we decided to book one that took us straight there as it seemed the easiest option even though it cost the most.

Relieved we went to breakfast. We’d learned to avoid the bacon and sausage so went for an easy option of cereal and toast instead (although the bread in Thailand is a strange sweet bread that doesn’t make good toast so even that wasn't good.)

After eating it was time to go the opticians to pick up my glasses. They were ready waiting for me and fitted perfectly.

We were offered plenty of tuk tuks as we left the shop so hopped into one of them and went to the main beach, Long Beach. This was a few minutes away from our resort and we wanted to see if it looked a bit more appealing than ours. I can’t quite explain why our beach didn’t appeal to us as it was large and empty - but it just lacked soul, it wasn’t that pretty and there was never anyone in the sea which made us suspicious about whether it was safe to swim there.

We asked to be dropped off at a British Café that Matt had heard about just around the corner from the beach. He’d been craving proper bacon and sausages so his decision was already made up to have a breakfast. I, on the other hand, went for a steak pie. It was far too hot for it, but it tasted amazing all the same!

Feeling overly full we walked a few minutes to the beach past all of the roadside stalls selling kebabs and all kids of things that smelled divine. For once we weren’t even tempted to buy anything.

Long Beach was a wide golden sweep of sand and was a prettier than the beach our resort was on. There were a few more people walking along it, and some massage stations offering a manicure and pedicure for £5.

We both had a dip in the water and immediately felt as though something was stinging our legs - it felt similar to nettle stings. I had no idea what it was but when I got out my legs were covered in tiny red dots. I suspect it was some kind of small jelly fish.

I’d been worried that it might be difficult getting a tuk tuk back but after five minutes standing by the roadside we were able to hail one down easily.

We hung out in our room for the rest of the afternoon before setting off along the beach to find some dinner. We got lured in by the smell of a restaurant that did bbqed fish. Matt opted for a fresh piece of white snapper and I ended up being talked into trying a strange curry made out of a vegetable I’d never heard of.

The curry was hideous but at least I’d given it a go and knew to avoid it next time!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb