Its my island...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lipe
January 3rd 2007
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

see the monkey on the right...see the monkey on the right...see the monkey on the right...

these little guys terrorized the kitchen at the national park. think racoons with thumbs.
no, not that wet cold one from the movie, I am talking about the paradise that is Koh Lipe. Amy and I are currently hanging out in Pak Bara waiting for our air-con, a big deal by the way, minibus to Krabi where we hope to make it to Khao Lak tonight, so we can catch our live aboard boat tomorrow around 3pm. We will be off comm for the next few days, so please be patient with our entries.
Since we last talked, we hit the island of Koh Lipe, which is this itty bitty little speck of a tropical paradise with white sand beaches, giant coral reefs in 4 ft of water right off the beach and restaurants that put hammocks and mats out on the sand around sunset so you can eat, drink and relax while putting your feet in the softest sand I have ever been around.
We arrived on the speed boat ferry and did a midsea transfer to a long tail boat, packs n all, and headed to pattaya beach. We found a room for $40 with air-con which is nice, and I went for a quick snorkel. Headed back to the room and got cleaned up before roaming out to the sand to find a restaurant where we could hang out and watch the sunset. Simply beautiful. Since we had heard that this sleepy, beach bum, laid back pattaya beach was the 'touristy' side, we walked the 1/2 mile to the other side of the island through jungle paths (complete witha few restaurants fruit stands, massage huts and shops) and found this place called mountain resort. Resort, in Thailand, means 20 no A/C bungalows all perched on the side of a cliff, its not like they have swimming pools or anything. Anyway, it was perfect for us, and we set up for another night on this magical island. After our diving trip we plan to meander back that way and spend about a week at that place, unless something better comes along.
Our day consisted of avoiding the midday sun and hitting the resort cliffside teak wood restaurant for a few beers before heading out to snorkel in the afternoon. Its a rough job, but Amy and I are here to take one for the team 😊
We decided to venture out a little for dinner and walked through the jungle using our headlamp to find our way and found a place called Jacks Jungle Kitchen which is a few bamboo tables and a bar on the path between 2 of the 'resorts' on different beaches. We have been getting green curry and pad thai at almost every meal, and Amy can stomach about 2 bites of the curries before she has to throw in the towel. I think the spicy food's effect is more pronounced when your lips are all sunburned.
I hope all is well and everyone had a great holiday, we cant wait to talk to you guys.
Nathan and Amy


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



3rd January 2007

looks awesome
but we want pics of Tex in a sarong
4th January 2007

WOW!
Amy it looks like you are having a great time. What an adventure. I hope this is more fun than looking for storm damage. Nate, really she was a great navagator. On a more somber note, Barry Kensrud, the Tree Trimmer that got hurt during the storm, passed away yesterday. Take Care, Joe R.
5th January 2007

I really need to make it back to Thailand
Looks like you guys are having fun. I should thing about going back to Thailand this year rather than going to Tokyo again. Thailand was great and I wouldn't have come back home in 1999 if I wasn't signed up for college. If you have a stop-over on your way back through San Francisco give me a call. My cell phone number is still the same

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb