Tiger Camp & Buses


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lipe
December 30th 2006
Published: December 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since we last spoke we had just landed in Kanchanaburi and were headed out to the Tiger temple to cheat death and rub a wild beast's belly. We ended up catching a minibus out to the camp for 240 baht and spending 3 hours roaming around this Tiger camp. The rules are VERY strict about what is allowed in both behaviors and clothing color. No reds, oranges or anything else that might look like a nice Farang Steak. It was a bit of an assembly line where they grab your camera away from you and hold your hand, literally, through the whole thing just to make sure you make all the 'correct' motions and behaviors. After Amy and I got our piccs, we headed up to the other section of the camp/temple to see the 2 baby tigers and check out the roaming herds of razorback pigs and cows. At 4:30 pm, they clear the road of all other wildlife by shooting rocks at them with slingshots, scaring them away so that when they move the Tigers to where they sleep at night, they arent intruiged by any scurrying animals. We saw a particularaly big brute drag his handler towards some baby razorbacks, but a monk gave him a swift kick and all was well.
Since that time, we spent the night on the floating guest house and headed out first thing in the morning to catch our flight from Bangkok to Hat Yai, so that we can make our way out to the small island of Koh Lipe. It was an experiment in transportation forms, where we rode in a motorcycle sidecar taxi, city bus, cab, plane, another cab and then a minibus. All in all we were in a car/plane for 10 hrs yesterday. Yuck! We did do something rather amazing yesterday in that we got to the Bangkok airport 36 minutes before our flight took off and still made it on with time to spare. The Bangkok traffic is horrendous and took us 3x as long to get around as we thought. Still...we zipped through 'security' checked in, ducking all lines and just playing the 'idiot american' card and were happily on our flight 37 minutes later. Simply amazing.
Once we got to Hat Yai, we were told by the offical cab company that the minibus were 'closed' for the day, and they would drive us for ~$70 to Pak Bara, which is where you catch the ferry to the islands. uh huh, yeah right...we blew those scammers off and found a minibus that dropped us off at a guest house for $2 each. Word.
Other than that...we are eaten alive by all sorts of vicous bugs, the weather here is sweltering compared to Bangkok, feels like Florida in June. Our guest house had A/C AND HOT WATER!!!! which is pretty rare around here. It also has a 'pond' with 4 ft flouders that doubles as a mosquito breeding ground.
Mike, I will check out a McD's for ya and see..maybe even get a picture. Also, we cant seem to access our gmail accounts from over here so please send questions through the blog. I have to approve any comments, so you can ask anything you want.
We love you guys, and miss you.
Amy and Nate


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



30th December 2006

all is well
send details ofKona's ear meds, you forgot that Cari is apparently not taking over, so I guess i'm dropping the poochage off at their place tomorrow? we're all doing well
31st December 2006

I'm officially jealous and will be even more if you get to pet dolphins too! I don't have to be at work until Wed so Mom and Dad are watching the dogs for the weekend. I'll be there Mon. What are you guys planning for New Years? Miss you.
31st December 2006

Spots on ears
Don't you just love the white spots on the back of their ears? Can you blieve the size of their paws? And those canines. Please write back as soon as possible. Love you guys.
31st December 2006

Tiger Camp
Sure don't like the sound of those riots in Bangkok! Tigers look fun. I knew you'd have adbventures. Keep 'um coming! U.T. squeaked by Iowa yesterday 26-24. They even led twice. Whew Love you both, Granny !
1st January 2007

Wow
The pictures are amazing. Hope you are having a great time! Happy New Year!

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb