Ko Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
May 10th 2012
Published: May 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The journey from Lipe to Lanta took six hours by boat and mini bus. We changed bus in Trang where we were ushered into a travel agent and told that due to low season we could get a hotel with pool, sea view, air con, mini bar, Wi-Fi and hot shower for the same price as the budget beach hut we had decided on! Our plans changed and it was booked!

We arrived quite late had something to eat and went to sleep, without a mozzy net which was bliss!

The next day we made most of the hotel enjoying the pool and cushioned sun loungers! If wed each had another book to read we could have done this for longer, but as you know I'm not very good at doing nothing and we were both eager to explore the island the next day.

Lanta is made up of mangroves, coral lined beaches and green hills, again very different to the island beforehand. Here there are roads, well, really a big circular one around the island with plenty of cars and mopeds flying about! I read somewhere that the place has only had electricity for ten years and phone lines for a couple of years although I might be wrong, so the fancy resorts - there seemed to be quite a few, can't have been here long.

We hired a moped and after Paul had a practice up the dirt track near our hotel we set off nervously on the road! The first ten minutes were a little scary but as you all know Paul is a safe driver and we were helmeted and as best prepared as could be! We had such a great day! You need transport to explore Lanta as the little communities are spread out and walking would take hours! We got lost a few times but saw the whole of the island. We came across 'Lanta Animal Welfare' a rescue centre and the only vets on the island, run on donations. We called in and had a look around and took two gorgeous dogs Pepsi and Soda for a beach walk, Soda was quite shy at first and we wondered if he’d been been mistreated in the past, but soon enough he was running around and swimming whilst Pepsi tried to run and catch the crabs which were far too fast for him! Saying bye we headed south, passing a couple of elephants chained up advertising a trek which wasn’t nice, avoiding a few monkeys and accidently running over a snake (he seemed fine I looked behind to see him slithering off). We reached the National Park and walked up to the lighthouse which had a great view. Heading back to our base we called by a really nice village and had a tasty curry at the drunken sailor a really cool little place.


We were absolutely pooped had a swim and an early night before our ferry to Koh Phi Phi at eight the next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Pepsi & Soda Pepsi & Soda
Pepsi & Soda

Didn't seem like the paparazzi
Great viewsGreat views
Great views

The road to the national park had some stunning scenery.


17th May 2012
The Hog!

Safety flip flops for Honda test pilot
Paul, uncle John - been too long, you look good off roading but always remember a real biker has something between his legs unlike the scootter rider. With my diary it might be easier to meet non uk than back in blighty. Have a good journey need your mobile number. Plan to see the willows up north over summer, if you are around. Take care mate. Uncy John. Finlay says he can nothing to what I have already said, which means it must be our full feedback regarding motor bike and sandals.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb