Back On Blog -- Bug Free!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
April 9th 2006
Published: April 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mon. 20th. Mar.
We're booked on a tourist boat, back to Sengiggi (that was Lombok), so no waiting for it to fill up, but still a ramshackle old thing. The hassle at the harbour is still as bad but we put the backpacks on and just plod the 10 mins. to the bus with closed ears! Our driver did a good job avoiding all the livestock, wandering accross the road, and, thank goodness, he even drove around the sleeping ones. Back at Puri Saron Hotel, we're welcomed like long lost friends. We've noticed a busy eating place in town, but it's under canvass, even the cooking part. We bite the bullet and eat there, and the food is superb. Jim had Red Snapper again, and says it's the best he's ever tasted, so we'll endure the plastic plates and table cloths, and come again.

Tues. 21st.
We had an hour by the pool and then a walk along the beach before the heavens opened, and then that was it until 6:00 p.m. Passed the time reading on the verandah, and giving our batteries a good charge, ready for the next on-slought. Tonight, we're going to the other end of the spectrum for dinner. A beautiful, colonial type place, overrun with smiling staff. The food was almost as good as last night, but we didn't dare tell the Aussie owner that, when he engaged us in conversation. By the way Graeme, it's too late now to warn us about the local "Arak Attack!" drink... - we like it -- a lot!

Wed. 22nd.
Eight Dutch couples are staying at the hotel now, but we're still rattling around like peas in a pod! W e were the only europeans eating in the canvass "restaurant", but it was doing a roaring trade. It's best to sit with your back towards the kitchen, because it is set up by the side of the road, with no running water, and the flat bed of a pick-up serving as a work top! How do you think that would go down with your environmental health man, Sarah?

Thurs.23rd.
The minibus with the crazy driver forgot to collect us from our hotel, to take us to the harbour, from where we could catch the ferry from Lombok, back to Bali. Our lucky day, because they eventually sent an up-market 4-track, with a very competent driver. The coutryside is so diverse and interesting that the time just flew by, and we arrived at the port just in time for the mid-day departure. Our bags were grabbed from the taxi by 2 men who set off at a gallop for the boat, with us following at their heels. When they put the bags down on the first deck, we discovered that they weren't part of our travel package, but porters who demanded an extortionate amount of money for very little effort. While I tried to disappear in the corner, Jim argued the toss, and, in the end, just as the boat was pulling away, they took what was on offer and ran! Jim was convinced that they were either going to throw the bags, him or both over the side! What a photo that would have made! We took the bags up to the top deck and discovered that this ferry was must nicer than the previous one, except for the loos, and prostrate bodies everywhere. We met up with some Russians from the Gilis,and with beautifil weather, spent an enjoyable 4 hours, even at one stage, accompanied by a large school of Dolphins! Our minibus was waiting at the quayside, and we made it back to Kota just as darkness fell. Yet another eventful day.

Fri. 24th.
We were served breakfast on the verandah, sat by the pool until lunch time, and then we took ourselves down to the beach for the rest of the day. While there, we had complete strangers coming up wanting their phtographs taken with us - really weird. Kuta is buzzing now, there are people everywhere, mostly moslems, come for a weekend break.

Sat. 25th.
We made the mistake of buying our Round the World tickets from BA, and we're paying for that now by having to fy from Bali to Kuala Lumpur via a long haul to Hong Kong! - Don't ask! We had 10 hours to kill in Homg Kong, so we took a shuttle bus into town, and saw big changes from the last time we were here. The promenade on Kowloon side was always good, but they've made it even bigger and better now. We find ourselves a local place to eat, thinking we would kill a couple of hours, but just after midnight they start to shut up shop. In fact all of H.K. appeared to go dead, so we decided to catch the shuttle back to the airport, only to discover that it sopped running. Then the rain came. Luckily for us, a taxi driver dropped us at the top of Nathan Road, where he assured us a 24-hour bus would take us back to the airport. We arrived there at 02:30 to find the place deserted. Not even a coffee shop was open. Only another 6 hours to wait until our flight to K.L. Do you still envy us?

Sun. 26th.
We received some sad news from Coventry, so we can't put our thoughts together to be doing anything with the blog.
Mon. 27th.
Ditto.

Tues 28th.
We are now in K.L., staying in the heart of Chinatown. Nice hotel, but the buffet breakfast comprises of, amongst other things, chicken porridge and black bean soup. We took an early taxi ride to the Twin Towers to enable us to get tickets for the viewing platform. It was well worth the wait, as the view is tremendous, and the inside of the building is awesome. The red carpet they were putting down as we arrived wasn't for us, but for the prince of Cambodia.-- We couldn't get close enough to ask him the best places to visit! After a stroll around the beautiful gardens at the foot of the towers, we visited the state buildings and the old railway station. Very awkward to get to, but just about worth the effort, in the stifling heat. We watched a recording of the Liverpool derby, while waiting for a storm to abate, and then ate outside at our favourite chinese restaurant.

Wed. 29th.
Next stop is the Cameron Highlands. The bus was easily the most comfortable we've travelled this holiday. The scenery alternated between vast palm oil plantations, rubber trees and untamed jungle, interspersed with wooden huts full of people. A ferocious storm brewed, with fork lightening all around us, but by the time we'd reached Tanah Rata, it had cleared. People from K.L. come here for R'n'R because it is so cool - our word is "cold". When we were going into town for dinner, we were warned about a "Mr. Karma", who would not let anyone pass his restaurant without eating there - and how true it was. He should be in sales.
Back Soon-- Too Much noise in here!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb