Ko Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Got game?  Got game?  Got game?

A volleyball net on Kantiang Beach.
It's Thursday, March 2. I spent much of today traveling over dirt, sand, asphalt, and concrete in my exploration of Ko Lanta. Although I had been on the island for a couple of days, all I could claim to have seen was Long Beach. As much as I like Long Beach, I was ready to check out the rest of the island.

I had been talking with one of the guys working at the restaurant at Lanta Palm Beach Resort where I'm staying, and he arranged for a driver (brother of his wife?) to take me around the island. Now, I could have rented a moped for 1/2 the price but I liked the idea of hanging out with a local while checking out the island. It brings new insights into a place that otherwise would remain unknown to the typical tourist.

Tourism on this island is focused on the western slope of the mountains that separate the west from the east. There are beaches stretching along almost the entire length of the west coast. The east has several villages but not much in the way of development due to the lack of nice beaches.

Of all the
Kantiang Beach, Ko LantaKantiang Beach, Ko LantaKantiang Beach, Ko Lanta

One of the nicest, if not the nicest, beaches on the island.
beaches I have seen, Kantiang Beach is the nicest on the island. Good white sand, clear water, and fairly quiet. The island's poshest resort, Pimilai, sits on this stretch of sand. Its rates begin at $200 and reach $800 during high season. Many things are possible in low season. You could probably get a room for $100 during low season. There are a couple of other resorts on this beach, some fairly reasonably priced.

One thing about Thailand is that rates vary widely depending on season. Peak season in the Andaman Sea is at its highest from mid-December to mid-January, but high season carries into April. This is the time when the weather is the best (low precipitation) and the crowds come from Europe. If you come during other times of year, you can get some great deals while having to deal with possibly bad weather. Some resorts shut down. The island of Koh Lipe, for instance, completely shuts down to tourists during the rainy season since the boats can't operate during this time.

We stopped for lunch at a restaurant named Khao Yai with a great view to the east. This is a worthwhile spot for any
West...West...West...

View from a road on the west side of Ko Lanta
of you that venture to Ko Lanta. Good atmosphere, food, and of course, an incredible view.

I thought Old Town on the east coast was interesting. It used to be the administrative center of Ko Lanta but now it is just a fishing village. The buildings are old and many extend over the water. I assume that sewage goes right into the water. I wouldn't want to go swimming here but it is a good spot to walk around for an hour.

We wrapped up the exploration with a stop in Sala Dan, the "big" village near the pier. Although I had been here briefly when I arrived, I had seen nothing of the village. It actually looked appealing, so I booked a room for tomorrow at a brand new place for only 700 baht ($18). There is not much of a beach, but I do like villages too. The village also reportedly has some of the best seafood the island has to offer. I'm in!

Thanks for reading.

Look! There goes Dave!














Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

View from Khao Yai RestaurantView from Khao Yai Restaurant
View from Khao Yai Restaurant

A restaurant with a great view over the eastern side of Ko Lanta and surrounding islands
Old Town, Ko LantaOld Town, Ko Lanta
Old Town, Ko Lanta

A walkway in the former district capital, Ban Si Raya (known as Old Town). It has a few restaurants and small stores remaining along the water but most businesses have moved to the new port, SalaDan.
Klapa Klumbar (The Lost Turtle)Klapa Klumbar (The Lost Turtle)
Klapa Klumbar (The Lost Turtle)

One of the bars in front of Palm Beach Resort on Long Beach.
Palm Beach ResortPalm Beach Resort
Palm Beach Resort

The exterior of my bungalow at Palm Beach Resort on Long Beach, Ko Lanta ($38 including breakfast).


Tot: 1.246s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 90; dbt: 1.1177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb