Ko Lanta - Nice but empty


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
February 8th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After our 3 hours searching in the baking heat for somewhere to stay in Ko Lanta, we ended up booking into a decent place, too expensive, but we were knackered! Ko Lanta is a bizarre place, everything is really hard to find, really hard....... Quick shower, and we tried to find all the bars.... again, not easy. We did find a bar with a Paul Gadd lookalike playing guitar, or was it just a lookalike, amused us anyway..... Found a Swedish sports bar (there are defo more Swedes on the Thai Islands than in Sweden, they're everywhere, all the signs are in Swedish, the papers, the bars...... Nice people tho) where we had a few drinks played pool and some darts. Thought we'd found all the bars one night as we stepped out of the local snooker club. Loud music, lights, loads of people, so we rushed over only to realise it wasn't a strip of bars, it was a strip of *ahem* Gentlemans Relaxation Establishments (best way to describe it i think). We said hello to the various ladies hanging around and swiftly moved on. Saw a poster advertising the Liverpool Chelsea match, starting at about midnight, so got a motorcycle taxi, we tried to find it ourseleves, but see earlier comment.... This bar was really cool. On the beach, and we were sat in a private raised bamboo thing watching the match on a huge screen constructed on a bamboo frame, eating the best pizza i've had in years... it was a pizza place, we're not just brits abroad...... Anyway after our Full english, pot of tea and copy of the Sun (joke). Next morning we checked out and got a cab to the place big sis reccomemded! WOW! Nicest place we've stayed in, and cheap too. Huge room, big veranda with table & chairs and pretty much on the beach...... Spent the next couple of days on the beach and in the bars. Spoke to a few people who were amazed at how empty Lanta was, apparently its normally quite busy.... 3 days was enough for us, so we checked out and caught a longtail boat to paradise........


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Only way to watch a matchOnly way to watch a match
Only way to watch a match

On the beach, private bamboo booth, cracking pizza, large ice cold beer
Dirk CatDirk Cat
Dirk Cat

Followed the match avidly
Ladies & Gents... MY FACELadies & Gents... MY FACE
Ladies & Gents... MY FACE

First time its been seen in 10 years!!!


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb