Happy New Year from Thailand!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
January 1st 2007
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another year gone by so quickly but its definitely one of the best years I've ever had. I've challenged myself in so many ways and I'm really happy where I am now. It was a bit odd not celebrating Christmas and New Years at home but I guess it makes you appreciate what you have at home, your friends and family.

We celebrated Christmas on an Island in Malaysia called Penang. You wouldnt think it was Christmas walking around in 30 degree heat, blue skies and hardly a Christmas decoration to swing out of, but we did manage to get a nice Christmas dinner buffet in a posh hotel for 10 euro. They even had pudding and custard but it wasnt the best I've ever had.

From Penang we took a ferry to the beautiful tropical island of Langkawi. I'd definitely recommend people to visit this island! It has beautiful white sandy beaches, the people are really nice with most speaking english and the island is a duty free zone! While its status as a duty free island has brought a lot of development the island we found is still very nice and we found the prices on the island to be nice and cheap.

After 2 days though we thought the island was a little quiet and we believed heading to Thailand would be a better option for a good new years celebration. So we hopped on a ferry to Thailand and took a 5 hours bus trip to a lovely sandy island called Ko Lanta. We arrived 2 days ago and have lying on the beach mostly soaking up the rays. The new years celebrations last night were really nice. While we were eating from a goregous Thai food buffet we were watching many chinese sky latterns take to the sky and from about 6 to midnight random fireworks were launched into the air up and down the beach. At midnight the whole beach errupted with fireworks. Some resorts had organised a display but there were many others who had just bought them on the street and were just letting them off everywhere. It was nice but it kinda felt i was in Sweden at times! The island is really full of people from sweden! I dont know whether there was a special offer for here or what but there is certainly a very strong attachment to Sweden on this island. There are scandinavain tourist offices, restaurants that have swedish menus and swedish food, swedish dives companies etc...
We are hoping to move on soon! Mainly because all the inflood of the swedish are driving up the prices here. I think the prices are at least double of what they cost on the mainland. I see all the locals drive big american pickups and they are all quick to make a few bucks from the tourists. Especially when you arrive and want to stay for over new years, its nearly compulsory for you to purchase a ticket to their dinner party which is also definitely over priced!
At least the weather is dry here and we have left the monsoons behind us in malaysia. I didnt get away unscathed though, I took a right hopper on some slippy steps and landed on my arm with my heavy back pack on. My arm was sore but OK and the bruise came out after about 1 week and was about half the length of my arm!

Besides that both Ulrika and I are in good health and are looking forward to the last few weeks of our trip. We hope the hangovers arent too bad this morning!
Best wishes to everyone and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


Advertisement



2nd January 2007

back at work
Hi Guys. I get a definite impression from your Blog that you have really settled into this "seeing the World" routine. You make it all sound very simple and easy; take a ferry here, stop over there ...............I suppose that you can not buy experience! 2006 was a good year and 2007 seems to have real potiential .............happy New Year , we look forward to seeing you soon. Hopefully that arm will be better by then Paul..................it looks really nasty! Take care.
2nd January 2007

dat arm is mank boy
greetings from limerick get the arm sorted...looks like you've a good tan tho! no ska here
16th January 2007

Good entry????? How's Shirtland?
Good entry???? Very deep entry. Some of the lads are really impressed by your writing. A book deal on the horizon I feel. A deep read, I couldn't stop reading it......where are going with some of the stuff you're writing? Anyway glad to see you're getting on grand. Safe journey home. Hope ye enjoyed the trip. By the way, when are you back?

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb