Khao Sok Jungle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Khao Sok NP
July 3rd 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a day of bus & ferry travel, we arrived at Khao Sok National park. This area gets the most rain in Thailand, so needless to say, it was pretty damp and humid! The forest is also one of the oldest in the world because it was not covered during the ice age. There definitely was an incredible amount of biodiversity, and I was in awe of how huge some of the trees were! I must say, the monkeys in this area are not nearly as cute, and actually a bit scary & aggressive!

The 1st day was spent a Cheow Lan Lake, where everyone stayed in huts that were floating on the water. Unfortunatly, I was feeling a bit ill, so I headed back to Khao Sok for the night to rest, but many people went on some great hikes and Joelle got some great sun rise/set pictures.

The following day we went on a 4 group (~100 people) tubing trip down the Sok river. This was a lot of fun, especially when we were going through some of the 'rapids'. We also saw a boa constrictor hanging oiut in one of the trees.That evening we had a big Canada Day party which started at 2 pm and went into the wee hours of the night!

The highlight of this stop was definitely when we went for an elephant ride through the jungle! They luckily had a platform to climb into the seat on their back, because it would have been a bit of a jump! I'll admit, the start of the trip was a bit scary, it was a pretty bumpy ride and the fall would not be pleasant (probably about 20')! We went through the jungle for about 30 minutes to a waterfall where most people jumped off a cliff into this deep pool of water. On the way back to the camp I was able to sit on the neck for half the trip!

We're now heading over to Koh Lanta for some more beach time...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lake hutsLake huts
Lake huts

This is where everyone stayed at the lake


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb