Khao Lak continued...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Khao Lak
March 23rd 2007
Published: March 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I had a couple of recommended places to stay, so we tried them first - both were closed for the night... hmmmm. If in doubt, have a beer:-) We followed the sound of laughter, a sure sign of alcohol consumption! In the dead of the night, Malones Irish Bar came into sight. Thank god the Irish like a drink - sorry Shakira, Shakira and Mick:-) Our luck was in, the restaurant next door had a hut available. Sweeeeeet. Even though they were closed within an hour, food, beer and accommodation was all sorted. This travelling malarky is easy :-)


The hut was nice and quaint but it was Sharon's birthday so we moved to a place with air con, tv and a fridge and explored Khao Lak.

Khao Lak was one of the areas badly damaged during the Boxing Day 2004 Tsunami resulting in 100 of the 134 hotels being either destroyed or damaged. Of course, we all know thousands of people died when the waves hit and whilst walking along the beach, we saw a few shrines to various tourists who had lost their lives here.


Since then, it looks like Khao Lak has bounced back strongly. It has plent of natural beauty to offer and tourists are coming back (especially the Germans!).


We have spent the last few days eating, drinking and sunbathing. Sharon has swum in the sea a few times and all her practice seems to have paid off. It has been relaxing here but now it is time to move on to Phuket which is dubbed "Pearl of the South" by the tourist industry but many consider it tourist hell. We will wait and see.......

ps. Have a great 30th party tonight Big O!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb