Phang Nga Islands


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

safe as houses!safe as houses!safe as houses!

Part of the pier, near Phang nga town.
Not to be confused with Ko Phangnan in the gulf of Thailand this area just north of Krabi in the Andaman sea is home to many thousands of islands, including 'James Bond' island, which featured in the movie, 'Man with the Golden Gun.'

As a lifelong (well since he was 8 years old) ambition, James (Curtis, not Bond!) has always wanted to see this famous island and so we made his dream come true and set off on a long tail boat trip around the national park. We decided to try something a little different and stayed in a muslim village the night before. The village is built entirely on stilts and sits on the edge of an island in the same national park, with stunning views of the islands that surround it.

We visited many caves, two of which you can walk into with torches. One even has crystal stalictites and stalicmites inside. Low ceiling and murky water that you couldnt see the sandy floor through underneath your feet- made for an eerie experience but fun nonetheless.

Finally we arrived at James Bond Island. The weather was turning for the worst so we weren't given a great deal of time but time enough to explore the many wee smelling cave systems that run through the island and a good look at the 'nail' stack just off shore. Where I'm told a laser shoots out from! Wish I knew.

Think James really enjoyed fufilling a lifelong dream. It was loads of fun. And yes there were the inevitable posed pictures with us pretending our hands (with two fingers sticking up) resembled a gun! You may laugh but it had to be done!

We left on our little longtail boat and the weather grew nasty. We were tossed around and had to hide underneath a beach mat to keep the rain and spray off us, Was really silly. In the end we hid in a cave and waited it out but the weather wouldnt let up.

Our guide tried to blame us for the weather and the consequent danger we all now faced because apparantly we returned late to the boat when in fact we didnt. Weirdo! Anyway after that he wasn't particularly keen to finish or tour and tried to talk us into leaving Phang nga that evening on the night bus to Bangkok. He
Leaning bond islandLeaning bond islandLeaning bond island

miniature Katharine
was right of course we needed to be in Ranong on the Myanmar border the next day, 10th to renew our visa. We were cutting it fine already so we agreed that it was probably for the best and so forewent the temple with the golden Buddah and the monkeys.

Arrived back at our tour shop, Mr. Kean and was told that the bus to bangkok that evening was full.....great!!

So we persuaded the guy to finish the tour and take us to the temple. We did see lots of monkeys and bats too in the caves that were extensive and beautiful, the caves not the bats. Although it did pong a bit of bat poo! Definately worth a visit and not as our guide had said "...its just another temple, Thailand has many temples, its like all the rest." He lied, he just couldnt be bothered, lazy ass!

We were also taken to a cheap and comfy place to stay that night in phang nga town. 150 Baht for the room, fan and en suite. Not bad until I flopped down onto the bed and nearly broke my back-hard as concrete! Oh how we laughed! (we
Bond returns!!!Bond returns!!!Bond returns!!!

but no sign of scaramanga, his flying car or his 3 nipples
should have realised that room 13 would be an unlucky herald of the next day)

And thus nearly concludes our adventres in Phang-nga. We went looking for a lonely planet recommended restaurant but it was closed and the other one was very overpriced. Found a wicked little place to eat where it was buzzing with locals and the food was delicious. Then it was back to our cell room down our dark corridor....I was still feeling the night terrors from watching 'The Grudge' in Phi Phi. I know I'm a wus, whatever, it was scary! Sleep finally came to us, and I almost managed to convince myself that sleeping on what can only be described as satans idea of a matress would actually be good for my back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Antique Chinese Fishing JunkAntique Chinese Fishing Junk
Antique Chinese Fishing Junk

now a tourist boat of course
Phang Nga BayPhang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay

spectacular
Weird amphibious organismWeird amphibious organism
Weird amphibious organism

looks like its from the evolution guinness advert
Bond Girl CocoBond Girl Coco
Bond Girl Coco

" No Mr Bond.... I expect you to die!"
Cheeky MonkeyCheeky Monkey
Cheeky Monkey

at buddhist cave temple
Buddhist caveBuddhist cave
Buddhist cave

seals of the visting thai kings
"nail island""nail island"
"nail island"

.....Where Scaramanga keeps his Laser of course
smaller reclining buddahsmaller reclining buddah
smaller reclining buddah

every religious figure needs his rest
These thais think of everythingThese thais think of everything
These thais think of everything

sliced buttered bread for the lazier afternoon snack lover


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb