Rain


Advertisement
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A miscellaneous entry ….really just an excuse to share a few more images.

The gross ones are of Miles’ infected leg and Marrin’s rash. They are both under control now and healing slowly thanks to the third visit to the second “pharmacy” in town…the last time with a friend who speaks Thai!

The first evening the kids and I ventured out (close to home…not on the main road0 for an evening meal. The plan was to just have some time alone and be together….check out the local evening lifestyle and have some good, hot food. (NOT vegetables boiled or fried and rice…again!) But even that is delicious….

We went to a local market just before sunset and wandered for a bit, then stopped in to a local restaurant for some supper. We ordered and then the lightening started…so we decided to take our meal “ka baan” (to go home). Five seconds into the ride back, the rain started. Have I mentioned the quantity and intensity of the rain in this country…?

Think wall….no Vertical River….think waterfall and you get a better idea. It is instantly on full blast and all you can do is hanging on for the ride.
We pulled over at the market we started at and huddle under the tents and makeshift shelters for about a half hour. During this time Marrin made friends with a local meat-on-a-stick seller who had a little golden puppy in a plastic mesh basket with the same Thai name as her….I missed the photo op, sorry….

Miles managed to wrangle (not one but three) free meat-on-a-stick(s?) to hold him over until out ah haan ka baan made it safely to a clean dinner mat.

We did eventually make it home after navigating the lakes that appear in the middle of the road when the rain hits…a little muddy, but proud of surviving the latest mini adventure. We all high-fived each other when we slid off the motocyc back at the apartment. We had a great meal of Tom Ka Gai (coconut chicken soup) and rice and a few super sweet oranges that another market seller pressed into Miles’s pockets as he looked longingly at them while waiting out the rainstorm. If I stay close to this kid I will NEVER go hungry, I swear….

Enjoy the pics!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb