Our week in Ao Nang.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
July 27th 2010
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Where is our room?Where is our room?Where is our room?

Yes our room is down this path.
Let me get this off the bat straight away. I very rarely disagree with the Lonely Planet, but I do have a very different view point about Ao Nang than they do. I think they have been a bit harsh on the town in their publication. To state that it is very touristy and sells alot of cheap holiday trinkets may be true, but where in Thailaind isn't that the case? And I do get their point about McDonalds etc being a major tourist point is a concern, however it does have some nice beaches nearby and the views of the limestone mountains are absolutely breath taking. So me not seeing eye to eye with the Lonely Planet Thailand guide gets a CF of 2.

We stayed at the Somkiet Buri Resort and it was absolutely amazing. It is set in very lush tropical grounds at the base of a spectacular limestone range. We were able to book two rooms for less than the one room we had on Koh Samui. They were very clean and spacious. The pool was also absolutely brilliant. So far this has been one of the best places that we have stayed in on our
Somkiet Buri Resturant.Somkiet Buri Resturant.Somkiet Buri Resturant.

What a relaxing way to start the day.
trip. So to the Somkiet Buri Resort a huge CF of 9.

Since we have been on the Andaman Coast we have hit some very early Monsson weather. It has bucketed down each day at between 11.00am and 1.00pm and gone for a few hours. Yesterday it was so strong large tress were actually uprooted in the main street. We also had a blackout for a few hours. Not quite the weather we were expecting. Hopefully it improves when we get to Koh Phi Phi Don. So to the crappy weather I give you a CF of 4 (only because it is still warm enough to go swimming still).

Because we have had so much down time we decided to get Alex, Phoebe and Jo their outfits for the wedding at a local Indian taylors. Alex got a ripping pair of pants, shirt, vest and tie. He is desperate to wear it out to dinner and then to school on his first day back (and no Peta and Claire it does not fit me!). Phoebe got a beautiful green dress made as she is going to be the flower. She is very pleased with it and she is
Behind our hotel.Behind our hotel.Behind our hotel.

This is the limestone mountain directly behing our hotel
going to looking fantastic. Jo got a lovely brown dress made also. For me it was just a couple of pair of shorts for the trip. Phoebe was getting sick of seeing my jocks when I was walking around. Maybe I should have just got some Cavlin Kline grunddies and I would have looked cool. Yeah, no I don't think so either. They all had great fun getting the clothes made to order so that gets a CF of 7.

We have been meeting some very interesting people on our travels. We met two Pakistani families from Karachi. Naturally we talked a lot of cricket, especially as it was during the second test and the Aussies were getting their arses kicked (damn I hate the Poms, they even doctor the wickets when we are not playing them. I can't wait until we spank them in the Ashes, Limey Bastards). Alex made himself a little girlfriend at the pool. Emmen, one of the Pakistani girls made sure she spoke to him everyday and got a photo with him before she left. So to us stretching the hand of friendship a CF of 8. And Alex being a chip off the
Sala Bua Resturant!Sala Bua Resturant!Sala Bua Resturant!

This was the view from our table while enjoying a lovely meal and a chilled bottle of Italian Rosa.
old block a big CF of 10. What can I say, like father, like son.

Unfortunately with the good comes the bad. We did meet this block who could just talk about everything and anything. It was a constant mono-log. Now I wont name the country he comes from as I would hate to dis a nation, so all I will say is he came from across the ditch. Or is that Detch? So to those travellers who do not know when to shut up a CF of 2.

Now one thing that the Lonely Planet did get spot on was the returants down on So Sunset or Seafood Street. It was just amazing. We ate at a place called Sala Bua and Lo Spuntino. It was right on the beach over looking the crashing waves, bustling crabs and limestone islands. The food was great and the service second to none. Our waiter was also very interesting, having being born and raised in Bangkok by a Thai mother and English father, and then living in Canada for 5 or 6 years. He had a very interesting accent. So to Sala Bua a CF of 9. It would have
Alex in his wedding suit.Alex in his wedding suit.Alex in his wedding suit.

How can a girl resist when he looks this good?
been the perfect place for two young lovers (but after 10 years of marriage and with two kids in tow, it was just perfect for us). To regain my faith in the Lonely PLanet again a CF of 10.

We are making sure that we are not going to go through Bangkok to get back to Singapore and then on to India. Just the other day there was a bomb blast in the CBD after a local election. One person was killed and 10 wounded. When we looked at where it happened we realised it was at a place that we went shopping at last time we were in Thailand. We will be able to get a direct flight from Phuket to Singapore. So to those terrorists and bombers out there a big CF of -10. Seriously you can all go and get ??????

The kids are still doing surprisingly well. We have had a few melt downs which although can be annoying as they tend to happen at the most inappropriate time, it is to be expected.

Phoebe has been quite adventurous with her eating and drinking. She is trying many new and different foods and
Our music Tuk Tuk.Our music Tuk Tuk.Our music Tuk Tuk.

The kids just loved catching a Tik Tuk home from dinner with the music pumping and the lights flashing.
tastes. So a big CF of 8 to her taste buds. Alex is getting there but still wants McDonalds as he thinks it is something new if he has it in a different country. Damn those Golden Arches and their Happy Meals. Surely a Sith Lord invented that little money spinner. My only revenge is making sure that I use their toilets whenever we go there. However now that my Bali Belly has cleared up it really isn't having the effect I am looking for.

So we are off to Koh Phi Phi in search of better weather and some more snorkelling. Hopefully the monsoonal weather disappears.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb