Ao Nang, Krabi, part 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
February 24th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunset, Ao NangSunset, Ao NangSunset, Ao Nang

The view right near the side of the beach with the Baboons. Awesome view!
We had a ton of fun on the beach! Ao Nang is heavily touristed as pretty much all of the accessible beaches in the area are but is very nice. We had to search a bit to find the authentic Thai food carts etc. and things were expensive; especially those that locals wouldn't buy often (i.e. sunscreen, aloe, western snacks etc.) - i.e. $15 for a bottle of sunscreen in a country were one person should be able to have a great meal for $3. I guess the locals don't buy it as the Thais usually sit up in hammocks in the shade while the tourists bake in the sun down on the beach.

Great food and we both have our favorite snacks here - Scott's is a whole coconut with the top chopped off and they put a straw in it for you to drink the milk, then you scrape out the meat. Lindsey has a couple - Knom Kruc (small rice flour, coconut milk cakes) and fruit shakes.

Most of the tourists were European and that means speedos and topless on the beach. That type of exhibition spanned all age demographics which was a little startling. It would even spill over into the restaurants near the beach - that will kill your appetite...

We were little less lazy in the last few days there and took some excursions to islands in the area and also went sea kayaking around some of the limestone cliffs. We got to see some of the other beaches including the exclusive 5-star beach which is only accessible by boat.

We went to the famous Ko Phi Phi ("pee pee", Ko means island) and two more islands named Bamboo and Poda. The islands have the amazing white sand beaches and the clear teal water with tropical fish swimming right near the beach which made for great swimming and snorkeling. It was cool to ride the huge speedboat one day and one of the local long tail boats on the other.

A couple days we walked to the far end of the beach where Baboons come down from the jungle on the top of the cliffs to the beach. They are wild and often steal shoulder bags and pull hair of tourists that get in there to play with them. We got quite close but decided to back off a bit when we saw three Baboons start fighting and giving pretty nasty bites to each other.

The area (particularly Railay Beach) is famous for rock climbing on the crazy limestone cliffs that are on the coastline and on many of the islands. Scuba diving is also popular around the islands as there is incredible coral.

Off to Cambodia! Hope everyone is doing well!
Scott and Linds






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Linds' BirthdayLinds' Birthday
Linds' Birthday

She wasn't looking fwd to turning 26 but I think the tropical islands helped ease the pain =)


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb