Ao Nang Beach, Krabi, Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post


We are now staying right on Ao Nang beach, just outside of Krabi in Thailand. It is at least 37 C today and sunny - hottest day yet.

We've had a great time just relaxing . The travel back through Laos and Thailand to get here was a long two days but well worth rushing it to maximize the time on the beach. Haven't done a ton except swim in the ocean and relax. The ocean is amazingly warm here and so far have seen one jellyfish - it was a non-stinging type the size of a football (CFL not NFL) and had washed up dead on the beach. The water is very warm and a nice teal colour.

Soon though we are planning to do some more activities so we'll have lots to tell - going to see baboons tonight that come down from the limestone cliffs to scrounge food off the far end of the beach. We are hoping to release a floating lantern into as is Thai tradition for good luck and to pay tribute to the spirits. They are quite the amazing sight to see them glow and float in the night sky like

Lizard FriendLizard FriendLizard Friend

We see this guy right on the step of our bungalow every day. He comes really close but is amazingly fast to scurry away when you get too close. We also have little yellow geckos on the wall above our door each night.
a clear hot air balloon over the ocean.

We are planning a day trip soon to see some of the amazing islands near by - Ko Phi Phi, Ko Hong etc. Ko Phi Phi (particularly Maya Bay on the southern island "Ko (Thai for island) Phi Phi Lay"is famous as it is where the movie "The Beach" was filmed. We are very excited to see the crystal clear blue water and white sand beaches as we have never seen anything like that.

We talked with the locals a bit about the damage from the 2004 Tsunami. They said it was pretty much just property damage here and not like how bad it was further south.

This sure is a place you could spend a while at and lose track of time. All for now!
Linds and Scott


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ao Nang SunsetAo Nang Sunset
Ao Nang Sunset

This is the sunset from the restaurant attached to our bungalow complex. It overlooks the beach.
Food CartFood Cart
Food Cart

These food carts are attached to scooters and are driven around from place to place. This is usually how the locals eat and they are all over Thailand. They make amazing Pad Thai, fried rice, cashew stir fries, fruit shakes you've ever had. Lindsey's favourite is something called "Kunom Kruk" I think it is called - a little cakey biscuit made from rice flour and coconut milk.


17th February 2008

Happy Birthday!!!
Hey Merdz! We just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! We miss you and hope you're having an awesome time. We look forward to seeing all your pictures and video when you guys get back. Love you lots! Love Chris and Kelly!!!
20th February 2008

More, I want more
Hey kids, I like what I see but want to see more. See if you can upload some more pics and stuff. It looks really warm where you are. Make sure you treat yourself to a cocktail or two while you're on the beach. You're not missing a whole lot up here. :) Take care you buggers and enjoy, enjoy!!!
27th February 2008

wow
HI Linds and Scott, Awesome pictures .Looking forward to seeing you next week. Have fun be safe. Love Mom and Dad

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb