Day 7 Moday


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand
January 13th 2010
Published: January 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waking under a mosquito net, big drops of dawn dew dripping onto the hut, unusual pleasant smells, more choir music and later chanting by Muslims across the valley, set the scene and it was only 5.30, still being dark and with no lights I slowly came round. Negotiating the bamboo ladder in darkness felt unwise the whole place had a movement factor.


I did want to catch dawn breaking, so when some soft light came through the cracks of bamboo I decided it was time move. You take your shoes off in a home here at the entrance, so wobbling over the bamboo, down the ladder on onto the mud floor to feel for my shoes was shall we say different and scary, breaking something here did not bare thinking about.


I was not to be disappointed and hope you are not. We arrived at dusk so was not aware we were under the Burmese mountains that have the oddest shapes and forms, maybe it’s the jungle on them.


One could only describe the view as the sun rose as stunning, beautiful and just unreal for such a place but then this is an area of extremes. The camp was waking now as people appeared out of their huts just going about family duties in a slightly slow pace but that’s OK there is nowhere to go.


Tea was brewing on the kitchen fire and offered to Matt and me it, comes two ways, with condensed milk (yuk) or just with the leaves and water, took the latter and it was really wonderful.


We chatted with the owner (the other 11 staying in the hut were not up) and the inevitable came up about the war today and the 43/45 war against the Japanese where the Karen and Brits fought and won, it actually took place in this large area across the border.

Apparently the Karen soldiers (Karen 1st rifles, sort of Gurker like) today are reaching the age of passing away and a lot of them have been pushed into this camp.

Our guest wanted to show us where they are buried a kind of war grave for yesterdays heroes that they are so proud of. Well, we climbed up to an area above the camp in semi jungle and there they were, still proud with their wooden crosses/headstones, still there and loved by their descendents. This was real history and so much part of us Brits history right there in front of me, so moving and almost unreal that my journey had bought me here, I just wondered if my Grandfather had fought with any of them.


We were going to drive the length of the camp from the outside as being found inside would not be good for our guests or us so we set off. As mentioned it is hard to get pictures of the camp as the trees are high and the roofs are made of these dry leaves so everything blends but I think you will get the picture remembering it is 3 miles long.


Later that day we were going to visit another part of the camp Matt plays a key part in, today felt as if it had been full enough all ready.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



18th January 2010

Great Pics
Those turned out great.
18th January 2010

Hi Rob Really enjoyed your company. my email is playing up so cannot reply to your hotel purchase but looks excelent Well done Ant

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb