Sukhi in Sukhothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
February 4th 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I took a bus west to continue my tour of Thailand's capitals. This city was the first- Sukhothai. The name literally means "Dawn of Happiness". Yet more evidence of Vedic influence- "Sukkhi" means "happy" in Hindi and Bengali (and probably most Sanskrit-based languages).

The main city of modern Sukhothai ain't much to look at, and the settlement built by the old ruins is just a small row of business which cater to tourists. Quieter than Ayuthaya, and much much more peaceful than the current capital. Lodging was reasonable- only 150 baht for my bed with a window and a fan.

I payed the entrance fee (100b) to explore the ruins yesterday. I was the only ferang who didn't take a motorized tour or rent a bike to explore the extensive historical park. Seattle-vallas are tough like that.

The historical park itself is quite beautiful. It occupies most of the ancient walled city of Sukhothai. There are many wonderful wats , both Buddhist and Hindu. Also, there are many large ponds, trees and bushes, creating a wonderful atmosphere which is only slightly disturbed by the hordes of uniformed schoolchildren.

One of the lady guides showing
Wat Mahathat CarvingsWat Mahathat CarvingsWat Mahathat Carvings

Not ransacked by art thieves or Burmesse.
the kids around was a fairly obvious former (biological) male.

After wandering about for a time, I left the park through the old gate to the west. There was an idyllic scene of rural Thailand- small farms and skinny cows. Occasional trucks or motorbikes, and not a ferang to be seen. True I did have to walk a fair distance in the midday sun, but my efforts were rewarded. There are many ruins outside of the city itself, some of which have been recently unearthed, many without a name. I stopped for my lunch under the shade of a tree by the most impressive old structure. Soon, there were literally ants in my pants, and I had to move on. A farmer was quietly working on his field adjacent to the old temple. We exchange a silent palms-together greeting and sincere smiles.

After a meal, a shower, and a siesta, I visited the ruins to the north of the historical park. These were more architecturally impressive than their counterparts to the west. However, there were many other foreigners about, so it felt somewhat less special. Still, it was wonderful to commune with the past of this
Wat MahathatWat MahathatWat Mahathat

It's the Big One.
beautiful country.

On a whim, I decided to go to Chaing Mai. So far, so good, although there were many many soldiers and folks in red shirts on the road today.....

The flower festival is to begin tomorrow.

The energy drinks in Thailand are packed with caffeine and therefore highly addictive. 10 baht vs 12 baht for the cheapest coffee. Hopefully green tea in China can ween me off of them. Although, on the other hand, they help me to maximize my internet and aimless wandering time.

One should not ask for food "extra spicy" in Thailand. If it is not hot enough, you can always add more chili power yourself. My body was screaming with pain after a "jungle curry".


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Wat Sri SuayaWat Sri Suaya
Wat Sri Suaya

This style shows Khmer influence.
Or GateOr Gate
Or Gate

Heading west...
Nameless RuinsNameless Ruins
Nameless Ruins

In the West.
CountrysideCountryside
Countryside

No honkies around
Thewali MahakasetThewali Mahakaset
Thewali Mahakaset

Worship Vishnu and Siva here.
AntsAnts
Ants

Not yet in my pants
WatWat
Wat

Back in the historical park
Ta Phu Dong ShrineTa Phu Dong Shrine
Ta Phu Dong Shrine

The oldest building around. About 800 years old.


6th February 2010

Ahh, man
don't you feel as though you are exactly where you belong?

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb