Pai, I'm in Love, Too.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
January 9th 2010
Published: January 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post


January 9-11, 2010

Having heard about Pai (pronounced Bye) while we were in Chang Mai we really didn't know anything about the place. So, after loosing our guidebook, which we decided not to replace, we did a little research on the Internet. Zara found a journal on travel blog that depicted Pai as an amazing place. The journal writer also recommended we take the local bus, which they said had better views than the mini bus. While in Thailand we have taken all bus types. This includes minibus (for short trips, designed for tourists) V.I.P. bus (for long trips, designed for tourists and overnight journeys) and local bus ( for long or short day trips). I prefer local buses if possible, but travel agencies make it so easy to book mini buses. All you do is book it, it does cost about 100% more which isn't much in Thailand, and they will usually pick you up from your hotel. For local buses you have to go to the station, usually outside of town, and find the right bus. Accurate times can be difficult to find, so what, you may wait a little while. Anyway local buses are comfortable and easy, mini buses are lazy. Ok, back on track, we took a local bus for this trip.

The road from Chaing Mai to Pai winds up and down mountains and has over 700 turns, you can buy a shirt with the exact number once here. The views are spectacular and the ride is not nearly as nauseating as you will make it out to be back home. With the public bus ride was four hours. It's a little shorter with the mini bus.

When we arrived we knew Pai was small but it did seem quite congested around the bus station. The streets were crowded with mopeds and people. Plus, we were anxious to find a hotel and our anxiety heightened the congestion and the congestion heightened our anxiety.

Asking a tour operator for a hotel recommendation it was suggested we go down the road and across the small bridge. The bridge, we found out, is a quite rickety bamboo construction that crosses a beautiful stream. It leads to a collection of bungalow "resorts". We found one that was only 300 baht, or less than $10. It's not glamorous but it has it's own charm. It's elevated and made of paper thin bamboo walls. The floor is similar to the bridge and, in places, see through. Our bed is quite hard and draped in a mosquito net. The bathroom, as large as the main room, is at ground level and partially open air. The whole place is cute.

We found an amazing restaurant for dinner. It's called "The Good Life in Pai" and they specialize in tea and Thai food. Tables are surrounded by swings for chairs and one wall wheat grass is growing. For the most part the tea is either local or Chinese and includes unlimited water.All loose leaf, except the one Lipton. I could sit here the whole night and write this journal and drink my fill.

After night fall the streets illuminate with fairy lights and the air fills with live music. Back at our hotel the tent people, also tourists, were lighting and setting floating lanterns free into the night sky.Before I was aware of a funny connection I was falling in love with Pai.

After seeing many shirts and throngs of young Thai tourists it hit me. The next morning I recalled a movie trailer we saw a month earlier here in Thailand for a movie called "Pai in Love". "That's it! That's why all the Thais. There to relive the movie." I thought to myself.

Later that day, after breakfast and tea, we rented a moped and cruised around the place. For the most part the roads have little traffic and the sites are scattered. A moped is the most enjoyable and logical way to get around. We visited Pai Canyon on our journey and noticed many Thai tourists. Sure enough "Pai in Love" was filmed at this location. e also found a place called "Coffee in Love" that has a sign that looks like the movie logo. The girls were having a blast, taking photos, laughing, smiling as their boyfriends took pics of them.

The movie itself appears to be a innocent tale of love that takes place in Pai. The tourists traveling because of the film exude an innocence themselves which gives the town a gentle, inviting feel. It seems the place is filled with a lot of love.

At first, Pai seems very touristy, with many shops and more sure to come. But, it's easy to look past this fact and see the charm. This setting is so beautiful I think it will be impossible to take this charm away.



Advertisement



18th January 2010

Sounds like fun
though, Zara - I don't know how you choked down that wheat grass :P Miss you both!

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb