Pai or Bust !!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
October 6th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pai and Treking to see Karen and Lahu villages


Dan's entry......So we boarded our minivan packed to the hilts (11 in total) for our 3 hour drive to Pai. This drive is different from any other in that it encompasses half of the 1,800 turns from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son. Our total distance was only 140 kms, but our ribs and necks felt like 300! all the jossling really gets to you after a while. I wanted to take a video, but Jodi put the ixnay on that.
Pai, is a tourist museum of sorts. It is a very small town where people come to trek, ride an elephant or whitewater raft. When we got into town we could not get over the fact that the town is by far made up of tourists (mostly from Israel). We found a great guesthouse bungalow (Breeze of Pai) which was very comfortable and affordable. The owners were fantastic and held our bags while we went off for a couple days of trekking through the bush.

Did I mention that we now realize how out of shape we both are!....we have to be better at going to the gym. We got shown up by two female, grade 5/6 teachers from Switzerland. The villages were very unique, except for the people fleecing foreigners for weavings they say they made. The first day of trekking, we lucked out and had no rain. The second day, at the half way point....that all changed. The skies opened up and the river swelled. And the complaining began (for Jodi and I). We had to make several river crossings, with strong currents (with our flip-flops on) which were not safely organised. The tour organiser had said that anyone could do this trek with sandals....lies! Luckily, we decided before hand he was full of shit. He was......we wore shoes which ultimately ended up being tossed after this trek in the mud. Not all that much fun, at times, but the scenery was beautiful.

As we got back into Pai, after the one night and two days of up and down trekking done, we treated ourselves to a pizza and a glass of wine at a nicer restaurant. All was good, but very sore. I've done some military treks, but I have not been this sore since basic training. Jodi and I were out like lights by ten oclock. Leaving for Chang Mai the following day.

And here we now are, once more in the nicest internet shop thus far in our trip. here are some pics....


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Coffee in LoveCoffee in Love
Coffee in Love

wonderful little shop on the way to the hot springs. Beatiful spot to havea tea and look out onto the countryside
bamboo cupsbamboo cups
bamboo cups

just a joke me using my multitool and Pat with his Machete


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb