on my way again


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Salong
March 20th 2012
Published: March 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

no idea where m headingno idea where m headingno idea where m heading

or for that matter what bus to take now...
unfortunately i had started to cough and thought i was getting sick ... also my eyes had turned red and where really bothering mi, so i was like not in a good mood thinking i had attracked some kind of infection ... however i started to realise that it wasn't my body acting up however i've hit the main burning season where the farmers burn their old wasted crops, debris and leftovers from winter ... as agricultural is THE main way of living here, i have just been living in a cloud of burning smoke ... After 5 days in the mountains i decided it was time to move on ... i hopped in a taxi taking mi the exact opposite way i wanted to go ... west instead of east ... however i knew that at some point we just had to go east again otherwise we would have hit Myanmar, which still by every local is referred to as Birma ... at one point i was thrown out of the taxi (read two benches in open minivan) and i had no clue where i was standing, which way Chiang Saen, a rivervillage near the Golden Triangle, nor what bus i should take, so i just sat down at a busstop ... a few local busses and more luxurous A/C minivans stopped for mi asking if i wanted to go to Mae Sai, having had that experience already, i furiously shaked my head ... after about an hour finally a local bus stopped and when i mentioned Chiang Saen i was gestured to come aboard ... this time i sat on the rearseats, stretching my legs on my luggage in the corridor and soon the wind (and smoke was all around mi, as the entrance open busdoor was hanging on by some elastic bands ...) Within half an hour i realized the bus didn't have much suspession anymore as the nice paved road turned into a reddish clay mess ... after another hour or so we had travelled about 25km east in a smokey grey flatland and i wide river greeted mi ... on the other side Laos ... the only two other foreigners on the bus were two ladies from france who had met each other that morning in Chiang Rai, and as i was looking up the guesthouse i wanted to stay at in once again the Lonely Planet the two ladies decided to join mi ... after unpacking some of my stuff and taking a nice, ofcourse cold shower, to wash off all the dust we ventured into town together ... again pictures tell way more than words, so just look at the impression i experienced of town ... one more thing ... the out-of-tune music which had drawn us to a local music school led us to a monestry with one of the more beautiful khmer designed temples ... and last but not least, althoiugh i love adventure, i'm not that adventurous with food, however the smell of the barbecued fish was so delicious that we did end up sharing one (fresh from the Mekong river; no idea what kind) and gotta say it was really one of the best fish i've ever had ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

more temple ruins in middle of townmore temple ruins in middle of town
more temple ruins in middle of town

and mind you, these ruins are a 1000 years older than those in Cambodia
a relegion in its own right a relegion in its own right
a relegion in its own right

has been formed around the king ... and if you have a public establishment and don't have a picture of the king, u get fined 15,000 baht ...


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb