Charming Mae Sariang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
April 6th 2009
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were able to get the best of both worlds on our long weekend away. We watched the Poi Sang Long celebration in Mae Sariang, upon arriving by bus relaxed the whole afternoon in a restaurant overlooking Yuam River and we hired a motorbike the next day to do some sightseeing and enjoy the scenery.

We made a long motorbike journey to the Salween River, Mae Saem Laep, near the Burma border and through many Karen villages. We tried to get a boat ride down the Salween; however we struggled to communicate with the operators who mainly spoke Karen or Burmese and finally gave up after waiting around for a while. The drive through to Mae Saem Laep was mountainous and beautiful. Unfortunately in the Mae Hong Son area, slash and burn is underway in the whole region and the mountains and sky have been filled with smoke over the last month. Even our beautiful town MHS has been covered in clouds of grey with none of the mountains in sight. The visibility in the region was not as clear as usual, but Mae Sariang was still pretty and green enough, definitely a relaxing break away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Restaurant viewRestaurant view
Restaurant view

Overlooking Mae Sariang river


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb