Trekking


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
February 5th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Cruise BoatOur Cruise BoatOur Cruise Boat

This is the typical Thai Long Boat, used for transport of people, goods and fish
Well, here we are again in the civilized world. What a time we have had....... Two days and one night in a world totally different than ours. We left yesterday morning, took a boat ride on the river in a longboat for an hour. Then we ended up in a little village with an elephantcamp and two huge snakes.... Had seen enough of elephants so had a quick bite to eat and off we went. We hiked for about 2.5 hours through the jungle, rice fields and little streams, ended up in a Lahu Tribe Village. About 150 people live here, with lots of chickens and roosters, some cows and 5 pigs and 1 tv, working on solar energy. When I passed the house with the tv (very loud by the way) there were about 20 pairs of little kids shoes in front of it, guess what they were doing????
The roosters think it is 6 o'clock anytime of the day including night time...........
Fido, our guide, knows a lot about Thailand, the background of people and religion etc. So for us it was very interesting and educational. He had a lot of humor as well and was a great cook
The SnakeThe SnakeThe Snake

Came across a "pretty" snake. This seemsto be a real good dinner. Haven;t tried ityet and we won't!!!
!!!!!! So, our "cabin" had 2 rooms. One with the "kitchen", the other one with 5 mattresses. The bathroom was a lovely outhouse (Peter : yours at Hornby was a 5 star compared to this one), where a big rubbermaid garbage container with a bucket was the shower (just dump the cold water overyou and refreshed you feel......) The toilet was a hole in the ground with a kind of half toilet seat, floor level (our quads got some exercise....). By the way I believe that was one of the few outhouses in the village so we shared it with a few ...... . Fido cooked a delicious dinner for us. When we were almost donewith dinner, there were suddenly about 8 women standing around us. If we wanted a Thai massage ?????????So on our matresses we go (all 5 of us) and we got the family massage.
With our tommy full, relaxed by the massage, off to bed we went, to be woken up by ........ A PIG !!!!!! Well the OINK OINk can be very loud at 5.30 in the morning. Luckilu Remmert had brought some ear plugs so got a bit more sleep.

Fido made us
Hiking 1Hiking 1Hiking 1

we hiked through the mountains, fields and jungle, crossed little streams, got wet and had a great time
a nice breakfast with toast and scrambled eggs. You know that Thai people eat rice or noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner ?? And they add happily the beef/pork/chicken too it as well.

We left around 9.30 for a hike of 3 hours, had a quick lunch (where Sabien realized that the fried noodles and the noodles soup looked alike alot , except the soup had the broth added). Then went to the waterfall for a nice cold refreshing dipp and were back at the car around 4.00. Then we stacked ourselves in Fido's car (seats 4 we were with seven as one of Fido's friends came along on the second day) and drove back to the guesthouse. And what nice it is to have a real warm shower !!! We are so blessed with the life we have and that we have an opportunity to see this part of the world. We spend the last night in Chian Rai eattting ....... guess what ....................(and the Dutchies amongst you will understand this )............

Bitterballen, broodje kroket, broodje shoarma met knoflooksaus, broodje kaas en salami and exhte frieten met mayonaise !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today we arrived in the Chaing Mai Gate Hotel, a hotel with a pool and tv n the bedroom. Kids ahven't seen anything like this for the last 2 weeks and they did really well. As you can see in the picture we had a very comfy busride here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remmert is off to the bookstore buying new books to read as Meindert (yes, Mr Bloch Meindert) has read the eragon book (over 500 pages) and wants to buy a new book. I am so proud of my son, he is getting the reading bug too .

This is it for now, dinner time is coming soon, can feel it in my tummy...

Mir




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Our ResortOur Resort
Our Resort

Well this was the cabin we stayed in, as you can see nice big door, great windows, good air circulation and lots of room underneath for the animals
Dinner anyoneDinner anyone
Dinner anyone

The kids are really cute here and want to come and sit with you, he offered us a bite of?????
The spacious kitchenThe spacious kitchen
The spacious kitchen

Here you see Fido and two of his helpers cooking our delicious dinner.
Dinner on the patioDinner on the patio
Dinner on the patio

Here we are having dinner on the patio, cooked by Fido. It was very good and NOT too spicy as per request of the kids. You see Hanna and Ed we are still not at your level of chillies
Fresh showerFresh shower
Fresh shower

Well, a nice shower on the way back to the car. I (the missing person in the picture) offered to take the picture as i was the chicken of the day
Deluxe busDeluxe bus
Deluxe bus

So we have all levels of the buses in Thailand now, from 2 doors open as airco to the lazyboy


6th February 2007

thanks
Thanks for the pictures and for sharing your journey with us. Love that you can get your kids to hike for 21/2 hours!! Your blog is the hilight of my day and i'm glad you're having such good fun! Linda
6th February 2007

great update !
Thanks for the great update; love the pictures. Continue to have fun !
7th February 2007

Nice Snake
Maybe you can sneak the big snake home for a little "Show and Tell". The kids at school would love it (not the adults, though!). It looks like you are having an awesome trip... the blog is agreat way to share it! Mr B
11th February 2007

Wauw !!
You will have a lot of new wonderfull memories after this big en great holiday !! It really looks great and it's fun to read about this big trip. Take care and a lot of fun !!!! XOXO Sas

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb