up date.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 8th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's nearly 3 o'clock and we are ready to leave Chiang Mai and take the nght train to Bangkok. We had two slow days at C.M. I think all the travel from the last 3 weeks caught up to us yesterday. Kirsten became quite sick two nights ago. Most of the night she spent in the washroom followed by her Mother in the early morning. Unfortuately if you can't keep anything in, there is no sense in taking pills to stop it. We just had to sit this one out by taking it easy for two days. Both are feeling well now, just hungry!
We realize that we have slept in 10 different beds so far and two more to go for in Thailand.
The house on wheels in Austalia sound for 3 weeks sound very good at the moment. No more backing and unpacking. Last night Miriam and I visited the nights market in C.M. You find stand after stand for as far as you can see. They have everything from souviniers to food lots of food and t-shirts etc. This market is paradise for a Dutchman, bargians telor. This is in short how the deals are made. Thai, You buy- R, how much?-TH, for you 700B- R, no too much- TH, how much you pay?- R, 300B- TH, no too cheap, 600B- R, no 350B-TH, can not do. Now you slowly walk away as if you are not interested. Then you get a little tap on you shoulder. Th, special price for you today 500B- R, 400B- TH, you bring me luck 450B- R, deal.
Good manner is for the last offer to be made by the Thai. This makes them feel good and saves them face. In the end you bargain over $2 but is a game played by all of them and they like it and it's fun for this Canadian with some Dutch blood too. In the end we got our stuff and went home happy, cheap deals! Charlotte would love it here in Thailand.
The next day we got ready to leave for Bangkok by night train in the afternoon. Lots of people say that is an experience to do once with kids, so we signed up. This time we saved so much money at the market that we booket 1st class. Arriving at the station we were looking for a nice train to take us to Bangkok 1st class but could not find any. After asking they pointed us to a old/dirty looking train. Reality sunk in as we realized our expectations were somewhat high. There was no way back and in the end it worked fine. We all slept well off and on and got woken up at 5.30am that we had 20 minutes left before arriving in Bangkok.
It's felt a little unreal arriving in a big city as Bangkok that early. Now it was time to arrange a taxi or bus to our next destination Bangsean beach in Chonburi district.

BangSaen beach is about 120 km east from Bangkok and mostly visited by Thai people on the weekends for a get-a way on the beach.
When we arrived everything was written in Thai and have a hard time finding people who speak some English.

in the afternoon we visted the beach and during a friendly family soccer match on the beach, we got rudely interrupted (about 40 times) by Thai youth who wanted to take pictures with the kids on it.
The kids felt like movie stars, but after 20 minutes of smiling for the pictures Meindert had a hard time keeping his smile on his face. They know now what is must feel like being royal.
we will meet Karen and Ricky to-morrow, will keep you posted


From a sunny Thailand

Mir and Rem

Advertisement



14th February 2007

sounds like your having tons of fun!!! see ya when you get back!!!!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb