I'm Officially Done Climbing Mountains in Thailand Part 8: Chiang Mai --Elephant Nature Park


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 11th 2012
Published: October 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This blog contains 38 photos that follow the many videos. To view all the photos be sure to scroll down and turn the pages.

My second day in Chiang Mai comprised of my much anticipated visit to Elephant Nature Park. When planning my trip to Thailand, I had a real dilemma when it came to elephants. I really wanted to see an elephant up close, but I did not want to be in an exploitative situation. Elephant treks and rides were out of the question for me. I know about the phajaan and do not want to support people who continue to inflict this torture.

I heard about Elephant Nature Park and checked out their website. Finally I found an option that made me feel decent about getting up close with these magnificent creatures! ENP is for all intent and purpose an elephant rescue. The herd that resides there are refugees from the logging and tourist industry. Many bear injuries that tell the tale of their past --broken hips and legs from logging, damaged eyes from punishment, mental issues from a life of torment, and even one that stepped on a landmine. I was astounded to learn that some were even fed amphetamines to keep them working longer hours. At ENP these animals are allowed to roam and bond with other elephants. They still have mahouts who are assigned to each elephant. These are local people who recieve special training to deal with their responsibility. Is it a natural enviroment? No, not really, but I don't think these animals can ever be returned to such. What ENP does offer them is a life away from work and cruelty.

The woman who founded ENP is Sangduen "Lek" Chailert. Here is her Wikipedia profile:

Sangduen "Lek" Chailert was born in 1962 in the small hill tribe village of Baan Lao, two hours north of Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. Her love for elephants began when her grandfather, a traditional healer, received a baby elephant as payment for saving a mans life. Lek would spend many hours with her newfound friend, named Tongkum (Golden One), resulting in a passion that would shape the rest of her life, as well as the lives of others.

With a love and respect for her country's national symbol, and the knowledge that they were becoming endangered, Lek began advocating for the rights and
Lek ChailertLek ChailertLek Chailert

Founder of Elephant Nature Park
welfare of the Asian elephants in Thailand. In an industry steeped in tradition, advocating for positive change in the ways domestic and wild Asian elephants are treated has not been an easy battle. However, with hard work and determination her voice is now internationally recognized. In addition to several documentaries produced by National Geographic, Discovery, Animal Planet and the BBC, Lek has also won many honorary awards.

Lek's mission continues to affect others as her voice is heard throughout the world. Her story and voice have made an impact in the minds of all who give their lives to animal welfare and conservation. Lek's mission to save the Asian elephants continues to expand. She has formed the Save Elephant Foundation and a dedicated team works tirelessly by her side to protect the Asian elephant.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton invited Lek to Washington, DC in 2010 to honor her as one of six Women Heroes of Global Conservation. But, the accolades do not end there. Lek was named one of Time Magazine's Heroes of Asia for her work in conservation in 2005 and the Ford Foundation's “Hero of the Planet” in 2001.

Lek has earned two honorary degrees from Rajabaht Chiang Mai University – a PhD in Sustainability and Conservation and a PhD in Veterinary Science. Finally, the National Geographic documentary Vanishing Giants, highlighting Lek's work with the Asian elephant, was recognized by the Humane Society of the United States with the Genesis Award in 2003.

Today, Lek continues to be at the forefront of elephant (and other animal rights causes), raising international awareness and encouraging other countries in the region to follow her lead, as well as helping provide sustainable alternatives to local villages. At the same time, she maintains special relationships with the animals she rescues. Most days, she can be found at Elephant Nature Park spending time with the rescued herd.

Evidently villagers all over Burma, Laos and Thailand know of Lek and contact her regarding sick or unwanted elephants. She will often raise money to buy the animals she is informed about, so they can be brought to ENP. She also does outreach projects to bring medicine to working elephants and helps school the owners on proper care and less abusive training tactics. In one of the coolest moves I've ever seen, she went to monks and asked them to bless scarves so she could tie them around trees near ENP to prevent people from cutting them down for profit. The monks were so impressed that they joined in to help place the scarves. If you look at the forest around the park area, you will see that all the trees have these scarves tied around them!

As well as elephants the park has 349494848 dogs rescued from the Bangkok floods. There is also quite an impressive herd of water buffalo roaming about.

Is the park 100%!e(MISSING)xploitation free? Some may argue that allowing all these tourists to visit and mingle with the elephants is exploitive and this did cross my mind during my visit. There are bills to pay and hungry animals to feed so I get the need to generate money. I think the intent is the best possible, so I'm good with it. I also think I left with an education and an even deeper appreciation of the plight of the Asian Elephant, so if that is exploitative, so be it.

The two elephants carrying their lunch are best friends --one has a broken hip from logging



Elephant kiss!



Scratching



Loose elephant kinda scares me



This elephant wanted to bathe alone and she put on quite a show flopping around in the river-pardon some shakey camera!




Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 26


Advertisement




Friends Friends
Friends

This elephant really seemed to adore her mahout




Hand feedingHand feeding
Hand feeding

This elephant was blinded by a sling shot. In order to feed her you touch her cheek with the banana and she opens her mouth to receive her treat




8th November 2012

Elephant Treking Chiang Mai
Hi, thought I'd share my video of elephant treking in Chiang Mai on your blog too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFUrbyxVUs Great pics and videos btw
29th November 2012

Thanks

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb