Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 7th 2011
Published: May 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

At around 7:30 our room phone started ringing as we were lying in bed. I answered and it was the lady at reception asking if we could bring down our passport for her to scan. I said that we were still in bed and that we'd bring it down when we woke up. Neither of us were falling back asleep so we woke up and got ready for the day. We rented a scooter and Tris navigated Chiang Mai pretty well. We soon figured that if you know what side of the wall you are on (Chiang Mai old town is surronuded by a brick wall that was built to keep the Burmese out back in the day) its pretty easy to figure out directions. We had breakfast at a lovely little cafe then got directions to the Chiang Mai Zoo. The Zoo was really cool. Lots of different animals. We had to pay extra to get into the aquarium but it was way worth it. I think I read somewhere that it is the largest aquarium dome in the world, or maybe it was in SE Asia. It had rays about 5 feet wide, sharks, and a ton of different fish. They had sea horses, and nemos, rock fish and jelly fish.

After the Zoo we drove up to Doi Suthep Temple.

The original founding of the Wat Doi Suthep(temple) remains a very famous Thai legend, and there are several varied versions.Popular belief is that the temple was said to have been founded in 1368 when the first Chedi was built.A Chedi is the bell shaped tower or stupa that traditionally houses relics of importance within the Buddhist faith.

According to legend, a revered monk had a dream; in this dream God told him to go to Pang Cha and look for a relic.The monk travelled to Pang Cha and is said to have found a bone, which many claim was Buddha’s shoulder bone.The relic displayed magical powers; it glowed, it was able to vanish the re-appear, it could move itself and replicate itself.

King Nu Naone who ruled the Lanna Kingdom (around what is now Chiang Mai Province)got word of the relic and requested that the monk take it to him . The monk took the relic to King Nu Naone to what is now Lamphun, in northern Thailand.Wat Suan Dok Temple which is located just west of the old city walls on what is now called Suthep Road in Chiang Mai. Royal White Elephant which was then released into the jungle.

I had to rent some clothing to cover up with while we were there as I was in shorts and a tank top. A lot of people were wearing the same but there was a big sign asking that you cover up, and I feel its disrespectful to the locals not too.

After visiting the temple we had a bowl of soup at a stand then continued on our way. We went to a couple Hill tribe Villages. They weren't that authentic though, nor were they shocked to see white people.

All in all it was a good day. We came back to the guest house, went and picked up my ring and grabbed some dinner.





Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

lizardlizard
lizard

he wasn't part of the zoo but he looks cool
ostritchostritch
ostritch

these birds look so dumb and doe eyed


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb