Back in the Proverbial North End...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 13th 2006
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ridin an elephantRidin an elephantRidin an elephant

Northern Thailand Jungle Trekking
A welcome rush of cold air hits me as I walk through the familiar doors of 7-11. I grab a slurpee, finger up the magazines, and debate the purchase of a Big Bite Combo. The sounds of fast motor bikes drag racing up and down the streets outside conjure up memories of home. My cashier has a mullet. Bangkok is clearly North of Dewdney. Singapore is the south end; appearance is very important, the streets are paved with gold, and there is more fast japanese cars, cinemas and nice hotels than one could ever want or desire. Bangkok feels like home; women have bangs, men have mullets, and 40's of strong beer are cheap and plentiful. I will make a bold prediction that by 2010 a Burger Baron will open on the corner of Khao San Rd.

I would leave Nichole the next day to venture north to Chang Mai. And so, ambitious plans were hatched - Chang Beer and Sang Seng Whiskey was purchased, and our night on the town was about to begin. But our time in Cambodia had been exhausting , and as we sipped our booze and watched B movies in our hotel room our eyes grew heavy. Nichole and I drink drank drunk ourselves to sleep.

Thailand is built for the budget traveller. The food is cheap and delicious, the transportation is reliable, the beer is plentiful, the geography beautiful and the people friendly. At times the sheer number of backpackers is overwhelming, but for a solo traveller like me, this means there is always people to meet and party with.

Weaving in and out of traffic in my rented Chinese bicycle, I drove around Chang Mai's moat, heading towards Chang Mai University where I was to Meet Jiw and Saiew, two of Nicholes local friends for a few drinks. 1 drink turned into 3, 3 into 6, and 6 into Eskimo kissing a lady boy, and Jiw making several agressive passes at me. For it seems that I am a magnet for gay men.

The next morning was the start of a 3 day Jungle trek into the hill country north of Chang Mai.

The four of us ascended the steep mountain, thick with jungle vegetation. The view was a force; rice paddies, scattered villages, and lush green mountains jutting dramatically from the ground. Without warning dark clouds quickly surrounded
Sun streamed in throughSun streamed in throughSun streamed in through

the walls of our hut as water boiled for morning cofee.
us, a crack of thunder boomed, and rain started pouring down in torrents. We trekked on , through the storm, ignoring the water that had penetrated every nook and cranny of our packs. This is Hardcore!

The three days were spent jumping of cliffs into deep water, sleeping on floors of huts in local villages, swimming in waterfalls, and trekking, lots and lots of trekking. The final day brought elephant riding, and Bamboo and White Water Rafting. Upon my return to Chang mai, a trip to an Asian style Kareoke bar brought the beginning of a night, not to remember. Kareoke in Thialand does not force you onto a stage to sing in front of strangers. Instead you choose a theme room and pack in to have a sing a long with friends to Thailands most popular power ballads. The Thai love songs transformed me into a passionate player in Chang Mai's night life; Dance Moves were invented, sweat marks achieved and sketchy motorcycle taxi's were hired. The morning Trek to Chang Kong came too soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

kris and Richkris and Rich
kris and Rich

swimming at the bottom of a waterfall


2nd June 2006

Are you ready for Folkfest?
Dear Mr. Duek, Just thought I would give you the heads up that my Winnipeg Folkfest ticket arrived in the mail yesterday. It's important that we make a No Wicka Wicka pact before things get out of hand like last time. So how does it feel to see at least 75% of the world?
3rd June 2006

As if
I can't believe you're still being so hardcore! More hardcore than ever! I think to top it all off you should try to cut yourself purposely and go swimming in a tank of sharks and then we'll see if you're the real deal, Mr. H.C.
9th June 2006

P.S.
By the way, did you ever get Malaria pills or shot sorted?

Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb