Chiang Mai for a little more adventures


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 13th 2011
Published: February 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Leslie zorbing... 14 secs
Leslie has one more week of school holidays....so on the road again this Friday. It's fun for me to go from A380 First to 2nd class train in 48 hours...and if you ask, I love both!

This time we expect to be on the road for 10 days without taking a single plane. This is a little backpacking trip for Leslie and us.

First stop, Chiang Mai. The best way to come here is clearly by taking the night train from Bangkok. We first had to brave the Bangkok traffic jam just to reach the metro which is few km out of our home to speed us to the main train station. We tend to avoid any travel by taxi in Bangkok from 5.30pm to 7.30pm...so I cannot really say that we are used to these monstruous traffic jams!

The night trains in Thailand are cheap and pretty comfortable, even in 2nd class. Our train was full of young backpackers 10 years younger than me...a good way to show to Leslie what is waiting for him in a few years time.

Our last visit in Chiang Mai was 18 months ago while Leslie was spending a week-end in Vietnam. We had at the time opted for the white-water rafting and the zip-lining. That was a week-end, sadly without Leslie. For more info, click on the following to see our advenures... Chiang Mai...just a week-end...but hey, these are fun weekend!


This time on the menu...one or two temples and Wat....they have a lot in Chiang Mai...and some more adventures. We went to the X-Centre 30 minutes out of town. On the menu, Leslie had his first try at go-kart....and I can tell you, after his 15 minutes of fun, it's not his last time. The grown-ups went for an hour of off-pist buggy...wow...that was fun! Out on dirt tracks! There was only us plus the guide in the front buggy. Sadly, guests are only allowed on automatic 250cc while the guide is on a geared-box 650cc....would have loved that one, but I may have ended up hitting one or two trees.

We had a lot of fun, specially when we crossed the little river for the second time...and this time, I hit it full speed, in a slightly deeper spot...Mari and PA wet...oh yes! These buggies could only take 2, and for insurance reason, no Leslie with the guide, so Leslie had to wait for us.

After this, we tried something completly new for us. The Zorb...or how do you waste 20usd in 30 seconds of fun. It was fun to do it once, really cool, but it was a first and last for me...except if you want to take me for a free ride. Leslie had his own zorb-ball and I shared mine with Mari. For info, with the increase weight of 2 adults, you also increase the bumping effect...fun!

Made it back to Le Meridien for few more glasses of wine...and a pretty early night. Next morning, early wake up...tuk tuk ride at sunrise to reach the bus station...for our next stop. One more little point about the city of Chiang Mai....where are the Thais? I'm not used to see so many foreigners around. We live in a place where foreigners live in Bangkok, but we never encounter a ratio of so many forgeigners to thais...

Few more entries coming over the next few days....but till than, with love from three of us in the north of Thailand!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



14th February 2011

A big adventure for little Leslie!
I bet he had lots of fun, I wish my school holidays were like that as a kid!
16th February 2011

Wouahh Leslie !
Yes, whouaaanhhh Leslie, what you do there !!!!! I'm sur you enjoy this new game.... You are an happy boy and I'm an happy Bonne Mamy seing all you do !!! Big kisses !!!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb