Miller round the world Day 14


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 14th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up at 7 am. Usual routine: pack, bring down bags, breakfast, bus to the airport, an hour's drive. The usual hurry-up-and-wait delays involved in shepherding a 60-plus group through a large airport. 2 1/2 hour flight to Chiang Mai, Thailand.

After clearing customs, we clamber on to the usual tour buses and meet our guide for this leg, Anu. He gives us a quick summary of the region's history, which began as the new capital of the Lanna kingdom about 700 years ago. He points out some interesting buildings as we drive from the airport to the hotel. Chiang Mai has a completely different feel from Malaysia. The streets are all quite narrow and the many cars, motorcycles and bicycles are crazy. It seems impossible that a bus like ours can negotiate the traffic and not kill anyone, but of course we arrive safely. The temperature is hot but it seems somewhat less humid than Malaysia. 
 
 Our hotel, the Dusit D2, has a modern look, with lots of chrome, glass and square corners and a beautiful young staff. We are greeted by a long line of them, bowing and wishing us welcome and offering us a refreshing glass of dragon fruit drink. Our room is very nice with good AC. Free Wifi! 

After a couple of hours to get settled, we are off on our afternoon tour with Anu. First stop is a silk factory. We learn about the ancient art of silk making and the unhappy life cycle of the silk "worm", which of course is a caterpillar, unhappy in that the cocoon is killed in the process. We see women spinning the raw silk into threads and patterned cloth on looms, which apparently is still the way it is done today. Interestingly, many women do this work at home. Unsurprisingly, the finale is an enormous store selling silk products of every imaginable kind. Violet buys some scarves. The prices are quite good compared with home, although they would be out of reach for most Thais.

Next stop is a gem factory/store, with the emphasis on store. We get an introductory video about gem mining and cutting in Thailand and a quick tour of artisans at work before every person/couple is assigned a personal chaperon to escort them through the store. The store is very classy and the items top end. We are told that this is a government licensed store and all items have a lifetime guarantee. Violet, who is owed a birthday present, settles on a sapphire/diamond bracelet. We are able to bargain it down about 15% by the time the bus is leaving.
 
Straight to dinner at a restaurant. It is explained that we are being given a traditional Thai welcome dinner as would be offered to visiting dignitaries. After appetizers and soup, each table receives rice and a round platter with eight bowls of different food. The bowls turn out to be bottomless. The best dish is the beef curry. The pork rinds and fried chicken are also tasty. While we are eating, a performance of traditional music and dancing is presented. The performers are excellent and the costumes superb. After dinner, the entertainment continues outside in a tent, with the same performers supplemented by several others, including children of various ages.
 
Back to the hotel and immediately to bed. Dog tired.    

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb