High Peaks


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 1st 2010
Published: October 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Doi Inthanon


Today we took the first of our scheduled trips with Mr Joy of Thailand Private Drivers who we had read about on Trip Advisor and booked online via an email form on his website. He had arranged to be at our hotel at 830am and was right on time, actually he had arrived before he was supposed too. The car was a Nissan Navara was clean and well presented, we climbed in and made our way through moderate traffic abig difference to Bangkok. Mr Joy informed us that the trip would take 2 hours so I tought I would catch up on some sleep and Paul just took in the view. We started to climb the windy road to Doi Inthanon, just managing to keep my cookies in tact we reached the check point to part with 430Baht for National Park Tourist and car entry fee.

After a quick pitstop for Paul and Mr Joy we were on the road again to the summit. Mr Joy told us to follow the walking trail around the Shrine and follow to the Cafe where he would meet up with us and head back down 4kms or so to the King and Queen Pagoda and gardens, thank god there was an escalator to get to the top of the stairs as I am sure that I would need an ambulance if I had to climb the 100 or more steps to each of the pagoda's. Such a beautiful view and a nice break from the heat being up in the mountains. I took a seat while Paul went and took more photo's and I got very burned in the few minutes that I waited for him to come back, will have to get some nice cooling cream and get Paul to rub it in Mmmmmmm.

We made our way back down the mountain to have lunch and visit the nicest waterfall on Doi Inthanon, What a owesome sight simply breathtaking (see the photo's). Lunch did not disappoint a lovely little local Thai Restaurant with the waterfall in the background what more can you ask for ? Oh Yeah really cheap! 160Baht for 3 courses and drinks ($5Aus).

Headed back down the rest of the windy road and back onto the highway to Chaing-Mai where I had a afternoon Siesta. 2hrs later back into the Hotel where Afternoon Tea was being served in the lounge where we whiled away the afternoon until Cocktails were served catching up on emails and the blog.

Tomorrow we are off on our second day with Mr Joy to the Golden Triangle with many stops in between. The only problem at the moment is what to have for dinner and whether or not to have another Mai Tai first.... decisions decisions......


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th October 2010

great photos
Glad all going well waterfalls and gardens look amazing as do the temples how was Mr Joe and was the price right thanks for all the interesting stories and I am wishing mai thais were coming my way cheers guys

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb